Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default 'Unusual photo frame for identification'

Hello everyone

I have unfortunately just had to start clearing my parents' home and have been finding so many things I never knew existed.

We have found lots of old stuff lying around and one is really intriguing me. I thought it would be easy to research but nothing has come up. We found an old frame for a picture (unfortunately that is missing but I am hoping to find it) and maybe pipes??? I have attached a picture (sorry it is the wrong orientation) and really hope someone might have some answers.

Many thanks

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Pisqueak

I have moved your post to the Photographers and old photographs forum where hopefully it will attract more attention than the Introduce Yourself forum. I have given it the title 'Unusual photo frame for identification'
    have you tried uploading it in to google images to see if it come up with a match?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A close up of one of the pairs of flags might be helpful. One is obviously the Union Flag, but what is the other?
    For some reason, it makes me think of the Anglo-Boer wars, possibly because it looks to me like spears either side of the crown at the top....

That looks like the Royal Artillery WW1 cap badge at the bottom, under the text. It might be worth sending a photo to their archive.

Have a look at this site -theraaa.co.uk.
    Interesting....

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Pisqueak

I have moved your post to the Photographers and old photographs forum where hopefully it will attract more attention than the Introduce Yourself forum. I have given it the title 'Unusual photo frame for identification'
    have you tried uploading it in to google images to see if it come up with a match?
    Christina
    Thank you for moving my post - I really wasn't sure where it should go - and for the advice on google, which I will try.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    A close up of one of the pairs of flags might be helpful. One is obviously the Union Flag, but what is the other?
    For some reason, it makes me think of the Anglo-Boer wars, possibly because it looks to me like spears either side of the crown at the top....

That looks like the Royal Artillery WW1 cap badge at the bottom, under the text. It might be worth sending a photo to their archive.

Have a look at this site -theraaa.co.uk.
    Interesting....
    The other flag is the Royal Standard of the UK, and that is a cannon at the bottom very similar to the raa so I will contact them too. I don't think it can Boer war as that was mainly during Queen Victoria's reign but they are spears, aren't they? I hadn't noticed that. Thank you.

A fountain of knowledge

The inscription reads "For King and Country" so it is either pre or post Queen Victoria's reign June 1837 - Jan 1901. I favour the latter, Edward VII Jan 1901 - May 1910. It may possibly be Georgian May 1910 - Jan 1936, but if so, it is early period. Pre WW1

There were 2 Boer Wars 1880-1881 and 1899-1901.

I think that you are thinking of the Crimean War.

Famous for offering help & advice

I was about to ask if it is also a candle holder but noticed you had suggested pipe holder. (To be a bit pedantic the so-called "Second Boer War" ended May 1902, well into the king's reign.)

A fountain of knowledge

Another point in favour of it being post Victorian period is the fact that photography didn't really become practical until the early Victorian period and didn't become popular until the latter part of 19th C.

The only fly in the ointment is that it could be a converted mirror surround but without seeing it physically I couldn't offer a definite opinion on that possibility.

I'll stick with my instinct on first seeing it and say Edwardian.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I originally thought it was Boer War because of the spears until someone pointed out it was 'KIng and Country', though as wimsey said there was a second Boer War.
    Excellent spot by Lesley about the RA cap badge underneath the writing. And, of course, there are horses and riders at the top.

I'm sure the clue is in identifying the second flag.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast