Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Interesting, thank you. What makes you say it pre-dates WWI? I only have information back to my grandfathers' WWI involvement, so not sure about family history before then. My Dad did research his family but I don't have his piles of notes at the moment, and I suspect this belongs to his evacuee family which he didn't research.

It could have held a mirror. This is a photo of the back, sorry if it isn't clear. The size of the frame is 445 x 320 x 50mm - I am thinking it is balsa/balsam wood?

Starting to feel at home

The second flag is the royal standard.

ETA: One grandparent was in the navy and the other was light infantry so if this is artillery then it can't relate to them.

Famous for offering help & advice

With the overall dimensions you've given, any mirror would have been rather small - pocket/handbag size, which isn't what you'd hang on a wall.

Might it have held a regimental badge?

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueek View Post
    Interesting, thank you. What makes you say it pre-dates WWI? I only have information back to my grandfathers' WWI involvement, so not sure about family history before then. My Dad did research his family but I don't have his piles of notes at the moment, and I suspect this belongs to his evacuee family which he didn't research.

It could have held a mirror. This is a photo of the back, sorry if it isn't clear. The size of the frame is 445 x 320 x 50mm - I am thinking it is balsa/balsam wood?
    I can't say categorically the it is pre WW1 it is just the general appearance, styles/tastes changed quite drastically after WW1, certainly by 1920s they were very different.

I would have thought Ebony was more likely but again without seeing the piece I cannot be definite, it could be a stained wood. If it is very lightweight then Balsa is a possibility but that is usually quite soft and easily marked in my experience.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    With the overall dimensions you've given, any mirror would have been rather small - pocket/handbag size, which isn't what you'd hang on a wall.

Might it have held a regimental badge?
    Yes three to four inches would seem a little on the small side.

I notice that all the soldiers are wearing flat caps and the one kneeling on the left seems to be holding a pistol, when were these two items in general army use? That could provide further dating evidence.

I’m wondering whether it was to remember a family casualty. It could have been a cousin or an uncle, not just a father. If you know who the males in the relevant generations were, spend a bit of time with the CWGC website to exclude WW1 deaths. The commercial sites have pre-WW1 casualties.
    If it wasn’t for the spears, I’d suggest checking India as well as Africa... Define when the UK had a King in the late 19th century, see where the RA regiments were at that time, and that will reduce the time period you you need to search.

PS Photography was still fairly expensive in the late 19th century and a lot of people tended to only have the Carte de Visite format rather than the enlargements we’re accustomed to now. My GU George died in the 2nd Boer War - apart from a group shot with the whole family, the couple of photos we have are all CdV size. His regiment had taken such pix of every soldier in dress uniform before shipping them off to Africa - the regimental museum still has them.

Starting to feel at home

Sorry, I meant to give that dimension - it is about 9mm diameter. I can't see any fittings for hanging except maybe on a nail using that hole under the top cross. Never thought of a badge so that is another good idea.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I’
    ... Define when the UK had a King in the late 19th century, . . .
    The UK didn't have a King in the late 19th C. Queen Victoria reigned for over 60 years of that Century and into 1901. See post #4.

William IV 26 June 1830 – 20 June 1837 was the last male monarch in 19th C
    Last edited by macwil; 16-05-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: add. comment

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    I can't say categorically the it is pre WW1 it is just the general appearance, styles/tastes changed quite drastically after WW1, certainly by 1920s they were very different.

I would have thought Ebony was more likely but again without seeing the piece I cannot be definite, it could be a stained wood. If it is very lightweight then Balsa is a possibility but that is usually quite soft and easily marked in my experience.
    It has been stained the dark colour, the original colour looks to be light brown; I can't identify the grain. The men kneeling at the top are about 2mm thick. It weighs about 270g - the weight and intricacy just made me think of balsa, and there are some fine details carved into the soldiers uniforms (eg the belts).

Starting to feel at home

The man kneeling on the left has lost his weapon, but I thought the one on the left was more of a bayonet rather than a pistol.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast