Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Alice Dora Barnett - who was she?

My grandmother was Alice Dora Barnett born 4 October 1894 in Rangoon, India to Major Carew Barnett, a British soldier later with the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry and killed in action in Belgium in 1915. He was married to an Elsie Kathleen Barnett with whom he had one daughter, However my grandmother's birth records (and those of her sister Kathleen Irene born Rangoon 1892) identify their mother as "Mah Thin Hline". I would love to find out more about my great grandmother who I assume was Burmese but have no idea where to start. Any ideas?

Thank you

Delwyn

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Delwyn

I am out of my depth totally with research in Myanmur/Burma. familysearch.org do have some guidelines which may help.
    https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...rma)_Genealogy
    Hopefully someone else will be along to offer some help.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Growing old Disgracefully

Not finding any thing on Ancestry about your Great Grand mother although lots regarding Major Carew Bernett.

10 public trees on ancestry but none of them have Alice Dora or Kathleen Irene on them. Only Dorothy 1897 - 1983 and son Geoffey Robert 1908 - 1985.

Will keep looking.

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a marraige for a Carew Barnett to Elsie Kathleen Mew, 1896 in Christchurch, Hampshire, England
    There is another daughter born in Bengal to this couple after the marraige.

FamilySearch gives two variations of the mother's name - Mah Thin Hline or Mathin Lhine - but there's no image to view in either case. Alice Dora's baptism does have a document to view on FMP, but I don't have a subscription. Carew Barnett gets several mentions in 1890's newspapers.

I think Ma or Mah must be some generic name - I have a Ma Koont Kyanko from Burma in my family tree.

The baptism gives her DOB 4th Oct 1894 & baptism in Bengal in 1912 .Mother & father as named in original post.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    Carew Barnett gets several mentions in 1890's newspapers.
    those mentions are just 1896 marriage notices, so not helpful.

I guess Delwyn is aware of this "church marker" at Covington

https://thereturned.co.uk/crosses/covington/

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    FamilySearch gives two variations of the mother's name - Mah Thin Hline or Mathin Lhine - but there's no image to view in either case. Alice Dora's baptism does have a document to view on FMP, but I don't have a subscription.
    Alice Dora b 4 10 1894 Baptized 29 8 1912 aged 8 Daughter of Carew Bernett and Mah Thin Hline

sorry I got interrupted family problems haaaaaar. (screeching)

So did he marry and have 2 children in India then marry second wife in England and have 2 more children.

need marriage cert for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    So did he marry and have 2 children in India then marry second wife in England and have 2 more children.
    FamilySearch has the two daughters as mentioned in the opening post, Kathleen Irene and Alice Dora, as daughters of Ma Thin. Kathleen Irene born 11 May 1892, baptised 3 April 1910, Rangoon. Alice Dora born 4 October 1894, baptised 29 August 1912, Rangoon.

Kathleen Irene Barnett married Daniel Robert Davies at Moulmein, Burma, 28 June 1920.

Dorothy Carew Barnett, born 18 September 1897, Bengal, baptised 6 December 1897, Meiktila, Bengal, mother Elsie Kathleen (Mew).

Geoffrey Robert Carew Barnett born Tunbridge Wells, 1908, mother Elsie Kathleen (Mew).

1911 census Carew + wife Elsie + two younger children, at Covington, Northamptonshire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast