Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    It does appear that Edith and son Ernest were living in Winnipeg in 1921, enumerated on census as Hassell (no sign of George W. Pearce)

Therefore, is it possible that 'your' GWP is the chap who Jomot mentions at post #3
    Edith and her son Ernest were living 502, Elgin Ave which is very near to Isabel St (where George and Eva Pearce and sons were in 1921).

Death records.
    Arthur and Frank.
    https://www.
    findagrave.com/memorial/120526821

Ralph
    in the U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014
    Ralph Pearce, Last Residence: 53149 Mukwonago, Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA
    Born 18 Apr 1909
    Died Apr 1984
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Looking at the 1919 passenger list again, the address given looks like 59 Galt Ave. There is a Galt Avenue in Toronto, but also one in Winnipeg, very close to Elgin Ave & Isabel St.

I can't find any passenger lists that would fit with the March 1913 date on the Border Crossings - the 'best fit' is the outward passenger list with Edith in Sep 1912.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Whitley is in the parish of Melksham,Wiltshire, probably Melksham without at the time of these births.pwholt

archworth

Default answers to replies

Thank you to all who have replied to my question and provided further information.
    I will attempt to clear up some of the mysteries.

!. I have rechecked my father's birth certificate and it does state Edith May Hassall was born in Limebridge, England however she was born 24 May 1884 at Barratts Hill, Broseley U.S.D. daughter of Issac Hassall (butcher) and Eliza Hassall of Barratts Hill Broseley.

George William Pearce birthplace Oxford.

Ernest Stanway Pearce (my father ) birthplace 805 Alexander Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Alexander Avenue is in the north end of Winnipeg, very near the railway yards.
    It has always been a working class area, and most newcomers started out near the yards.

2, New information
    \I have a suitcase full of postcards, old books etc. saved by Edith, and I found the following

in a birthday book, written in pencil and scratched out is the following:

under January 28, (no Year) G.W. PEARCE

3, New information

In the same suitcase is a post card |( not stamped) but hand dated Mar.16, 1913
    picture of RMS Lusitania at landing stage Liverpool.

Handwritten card reads

To my dear son

A very good view of the ship and only a very limited view of ?(furthest|) end of the ?(launching)stage \it is really immense in length and the docks ? (not readable) 7 to 9 miles in length

Not signed.

I have checked the Lusitania site and George is not shown as a member of the crew or passenger at time of sinking.

I will sign off now, in case I loose this post, more information to follow.

Archworth

Famous for offering help & advice

The birthday book entry is interesting, as a birth date of 28 January would fit with the George William Pearce born Whitley, Wiltshire. This is his birth registration:

PEARCE, GEORGE WILLIAM mothers maiden name: BULL
    GRO Reference: 1874 M Quarter in MELKSHAM Volume 05A Page 119

He was baptised 26 Apr 1874.

It may be worth investing in the birth certificate to see if the date of birth matches.

archworth

Default more informartion for George William Pearce

re the post card "to my dear Son:

I do not recognise the handwriting, and no other card in this collection has the same script.

Now on to the question of what Edith did before and after my fathers birth:

1911 census she is shown as a cook/domestic servant for a Dr. Thomas Steele Sheldon, medical superintendant of the county Lunatic Asylum , Parkside, Macclesfield, Cheshire.

1912 18 September left England as Edith Pearce wife of George W. Pearce.

18 January 1913 my father Ernest Stanway Pearce born Winnipeg Manitoba.Wa

Note: Although my father was born in January we always celebrated and thought that his birthday was 18 APRIL...four months after the actual birthday. This was not known until I started searching for the family history,
    My brother's middle name was Pearce , and again no explanation was ever given.

1920 A family member has a old copy of Oliver twist inscribed to Ernest Stanway from Uncle Louis, Wallasey, Cheshire, in a different hand30/10/1920 the day leaving England with mother.

From the ships list I found that the ship leaving England on the 30 October 1920 was Megantic White star line arriving
    Montreal 7 November 1920 among the passengers was
    edith REED, 35 born England lived in Winnipeg and Stanley Reed aged 6 born Canada

From the outgoing passenger list I found"

C.P ship Minnedosa arrived in England 7 June 1920
    Passengers
    Edith Reed aged 35
    Stanway Reed aged 4\
    destination/

41 Park Lane, Shifnal Shropshire,

from the 1911 census address seach I found that 41 Park Lande Shifnal, Shropshire was occupied by.

Fanny Stareway and Sarah Ann Ludar

Fanny Stareway is actually Fanny Stanway And Sarah Ann Ludar is Sarah Ann Tudar, two of Edith's aunts.

So now I have A Edith REED and Stanley or Stanway REED to search for.

again I will send this before I make a mistake and loose it

Archworth

archworth

Default Re Edith Reed

Sorry I am tired and not able to continue Edith's story until later today, it does get even more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by archworth View Post
    Sorry I am tired and not able to continue Edith's story until later today, it does get even more interesting
    Take your time, archworth.

I look forward to your next 'episode', seems it's an interesting ancestry you have
    Alma

Growing old Disgracefully

So far I have the following

George William Pearce BIRTH JANUARY 1874 • Whitley, Wiltshire
    married
    Eva Shattock ABT 1876 • Newport, Monmouthshire
    Children taken from 1911 censues and birth records Index
    Arthur George Pearce 1904–1933, BIRTH OCTOBER 1904 • Bath, Somerset, DEATH 1933
    Frank Pearce, BIRTH JULY 1906 • Bath, Somerset
    Ralph Pearce, 18 APR 1909 • Bathford, Somerset.

Edith May Hassall
    Ernest Stanway Pearce, BIRTH 18 JAN 1913 • Canada

Parents of George William Pearce B 1874

Father
    Robert Pearce 1841–1898
    BIRTH JANUARY 1841 • Semington, Wiltshire, England
    DEATH APRIL 1898 • Melksham, Wiltshire
    Census 51 to 91 - Birth, Death and Marriage records from Indexes

Mother
    Mary Ann Bull 1844–1934
    BIRTH 1844 • Steeple Ashton, Wiltshire, England
    DEATH SEP 1934 • Melksham, Wiltshire, England
    Census 51 - 71 to 91 Birth, Death and Marriage records from Indexes

Siblings of George William Pearce

Kate E or Elizabeth Kate Pearce - BIRTH ABT 1869 • Brough; Semington, Wiltshire, England

Henry James Pierce - BIRTH ABT 1872 • Whitly Melksham, Wiltshire, England

Jacob Pearce - BIRTH 1877 • Melksham, Wiltshire, England

Rosa Emily Pearce - BIRTH 1880 • Melksham, Wiltshire, England

Frederick Robert Pearce - BIRTH APRIL 1882 • Melksham, Wiltshire, England

Ruth Louise Pearce - BIRTH 1885 • Melksham, Wiltshire, England

Florence Eliza Pearce - BIRTH JULY 1889 • Melksham, Wiltshire, England

archworth

to continue the saga of Edith

After finding that Edith had visited her aunts in 1920 I searched the 1916 census for Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. and found

Edith Reed, born 1884, married, immigrated 1911 and living at 961 Lipton st. Winnigeg with:

Stanway Reed aged 3 and:::::

George Reed, aged 36

had I found the elusive George using an alias?

Sadly no...
    this George aged 36, who was listed as her husband, had arrived in Canada in 1907

a search of the passenger lists for 1907 confirmed that George Reed did immigrate onboard C.P. ship Tunisian, 23 July 1907 along with his WIFE.
    she was not found on the 1916 census.

in the 1921 census Edith is still listed as married, but is back to using her maiden name , transcribed as Harrel
    occupation ...clerk
    age ............34

My father listed as Ernest
    age ............8

address....502 Elgin Avenue Winnipeg

On August 16, 1924 she married John Lee Robinson. and used her maiden name misspelled as Hasale\

from the 1916 census I found that John Robinson had arrived in Canada 1n 1911, at age 20 , with his parents George and Rhonda/

John Robinson died on 18 December 1933 at their home 114 Chandos Street, Norwood, Manitoba. ( suberb of Winnipeg)he was 39

and his obit states that he had lived in Winnipeg for 23 years and for the past 18 had been a crainman for the C>P>R>

Edith again married? a Thomas Edward GALE,

They remained at 114 Chandos St, until 1946 when the house was sold, a note on a picture of the house reads ,

"my old house where we lived for 25 yrs, nearly broke my heart" in Edith's hand

I knew Ed Gale, and assumed as a child that he was Edith's second husband, I had Granny Gale, and Ed.

Edith died 27 Sept 1963 and is buried with John Robinson in Winnipeg

I am still no closer to finding my grandfather George William Pearce, although the George from Bath looks very promising.
    I am trying to figure out how they could have met

Edith was in Macclesfield Cheshire in 1911
    George was in Bath in 1911
    if they were involved they must have met up between census day 1911 and September 1912....where?
    in one of the census it shows George as an Iron moulder, and in brackets (bridge)
    could there have been bridge construction near Macclesfield. or am I reaching.

Thank you for letting me vent, it has been a very frustrating search and one that I have hoped to complete.
    I have a very short family tree, on my father's paternal line 1, and my mother born in Ireland, I have 2 generations.

My sincere thanks to all who have taken up my quest, your input is sincerely appreciated, and given me new avenues to explore.

Archworth

My father took the last name Robinson, and that was only name the family used. He married under Robinson, Served in the forces under Robinson, my birth surname is Robinson, and he died under the name Robinson

When I became interested in family history I asked what had become of Dad's "father" John Robinson, and no explanation was given, no details of the correct father,

Edith Reed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast