Starting to feel at home

Default 3 illegitimate children, only 1 birth record

I am looking into the history of my great grandmother on my father's side. From what my father has told me it seems that she had 3 illegitimate sons (including my grandfather) before marrying in 1933, then went on to have another son. I have a birth record for my grandfather but I'm having trouble find his 2 older brothers.

Her name was Agnes Mary Rogers (1904-1977) and she was born in Pakenham, Suffolk. My grandfather Michael William Rogers was born in 1932 in Cambridge and Agnes married Frank Rogers in 1933 in Cambridge. Her marriage certificate shows her to be a spinster.
    She had 2 other sons, John and Patrick, some time in the 1920s I would assume. As far as my father is aware, his Uncle Patrick is still alive and would be in his late 90s by now.

I have a theory that Agnes was living in Pakenham with her parents until her father's death in 1920, at which point she may have moved to Cambridge with her mother who was born in that area so may have had family there. With that theory in mind, I am thinking that her sons must have been born in Suffolk or Cambridge.

I've found nothing like this for Patrick, but I found this as a possibility for John on FreeBMD:

Births Mar 1923

Rogers John E Rogers Bury St.E. 4a 1643

Pakenham is listed in the Bury St.E. district

Starting to feel at home

My other thought is that maybe I've got the names all wrong. My dad just told me that his father had 3 brothers, John, Pat and Bob. I suppose there's a chance that these could have been family nicknames and not the ones on their birth certificates.

I found this record and thought that the initial P could be for Patrick:

Births Mar 1929
    Rogers Brian P Rogers Bury St. E. 4a 1498

May be clutching at straws here!

Brick wall demolition expert!

I don't think that you are right about the Bury St. E births. If you search for births in Suffolk of Rogers babies, who's mother's name was also Rogers between the years 1920-1940 there are 11. Four of them in Bury St. E, so that would suggest one family.

One way forward for you would be to do searches such as I have done for Suffolk and other counties, and then eliminate those found by using records such as the 1939 register and electoral rolls etc. But you do need to look at family groupings.

Your grandfather's birth was registered in Cambridgeshire and there are 9 Rogers/Rogers births between 1920-1940 registered there.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This appears to be the death entry for Agnes Rogers
    Agnes Rogers
    Death Age: 70
    Birth Date: abt 1863
    Registration Date: Mar 1933
    Registration district: Cambridge
    Inferred County: Cambridgeshire
    Volume: 3b Page: 672

If you look at the 1911 census you will see that her place of birth is Girton Cambridge
    Agnes Rogers
    Age in 1911: 49
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
    Relation to Head: Wife
    Birth Place: Girton, Cambridgeshire, England
    Civil Parish: Pakenham

I think she was nee Chandler

Potential

Births Mar 1923
    Rogers John E Rogers Bury St.E. 4a 1643

Births Mar 1929
    Rogers Brian P Rogers Bury St. E. 4a

Maybe you need to follow Agnes's Cambridge family to see if any 'adopted' these children
    RG10; Piece: 1579; Folio: 44; Page: 16
    Thomas Chandler 38
    Hannah Chandler 37
    Agnes Chandler 8
    Harriet Chandler 6
    Linton Chandler 4
    Anne E Chandler 1

Starting to feel at home

Yes that's Agnes Mary's mother - Agnes Chandler (1863-1933).
    I will look further into the Chandler family and see if there is a link.
    I will also have a closer look at the potentials.

What I really need is the 1921 census to become available. That would help with so many other brick walls!