Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default 1939 register available elsewhere

I don't know how long it has been there, but the 1939 register now appears to be available on another well-known genealogical website beginning with A and ending in Y (or has it always been there ? )

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

It seems to be so. Not sure what the coverage is.

I found my parents(even though I have the page from another web site). But, when searched for in the usual manner, my Grandparents do not show, even though they are 8 doors away. I can find them manually from my parents address, by scrolling through.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

I think FMP had the exclusive because they did the scanning. Ancestry will probably have had to do their own transcription though so it might be interesting to compare............... I really can't be bothered though.

OOh OOh there might be different closed records on Ancestry That would be worth a look
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Settling in

Looking at Tweets on aforementioned site, the 1939 Register has been added to the site but is not yet searchable. Apparently there will be an announcement tomorrow.

I wouldn't wait until the rush after the announcement tomorrow if I were you. I've just tried it (for John Smith born 1930), and it's working fine, right down to the handwritten entries!

There are occasional black lines across the screen saying "This record is officially closed".

It's a pity that I don't have any english ancestors...

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Transcriptions match the origiinals. d.o.b is essential, as far as I know.

Same page as the other site, and so are the closed records. My 2 year old brother(in 1939) is blanked out, as expected.

I have a strange feeling that the site I use on a daily basis, is somehow using these records which have been added(from the other site) to my tree, and others.

Not having gone through the terms and conditions of 'my' FH web site, with a fine tooth comb.....it's possible I gave up the right of exclusivity. Giving them the right to use as they wish, any original records.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I originally had difficulty finding my own family, because my father's name had been incorrectly transcribed. I reported the error, which was duly corrected by FMP. However, the Anc. transcription contains the error, so I will have to report it again!

I still don't know who the fifth person was in our household, though!

Peter

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    I originally had difficulty finding my own family, because my father's name had been incorrectly transcribed. I reported the error, which was duly corrected by FMP. However, the Anc. transcription contains the error, so I will have to report it again!

I still don't know who the fifth person was in our household, though!

Peter
    I wouldn't bother reporting any mistakes to Ancestry because they never correct anything!

My paternal family, unusual name, are all there.
    The register is the first on the list when searching by Card Catalogue on the RH side of the search page.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

OOh OOh there might be different closed records on Ancestry That would be worth a look
    If I understand the arrangements correctly, there may be more closed records on Ancestry than FMP but there can't possibly be fewer.

That's because Ancestry don't have the mechanism to open closed records.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast