Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    If I understand the arrangements correctly, there may be more closed records on Ancestry than FMP but there can't possibly be fewer.

That's because Ancestry don't have the mechanism to open closed records.
    That seems to be right. Ancestry must have gone back to some previous 'base level' of images and from a fb forum I'm on it also seems that Ancestry have had to do their own transcriptions as it varies from FMP's (and from reality) in a number of cases.

Cheers, MTS

Well, that's actually useful since it's convenient if a transcription looks odd on one of them to be able to check it against the other!

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm getting a little pop-up saying this 1939 register is free to access "until Sunday"

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Believe it or not, the one name of my rellies which FMP made a serious boo-boo with, Ancestry have transcribed correctly. Do we have a flabbergasted smilie?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

After I informed FMP of a mistranscription It took them 6 months to correct my father's name, they had indexed him under his sister's married name.

Ancestry have my father indexed correctly.

So, I deduce that with the benefit of both Ancestry and FMP transcriptions we may find who we are looking for without too much trouble I'm ever the optimist
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Sadly looks like same image areas are missing off of the Ancestry site as were missing off of Find My Past. Most notably huge chunks of Willenhall in Staffordshire for me (Willenhall accounts for 55% of my missing households from the 1939 register)

Reputation beyond repute

Sadly looks like same image areas are missing off of the Ancestry site as were missing off of Find My Past.
    I don't see how it could be otherwise.

What does FMP have to say about the missing areas? Are the original documents missing or do they survive but were missed in the scanning process?

Brick wall demolition expert!

For me the one interesting thing about the 1939 register is what it does and does not show .....

In 1939, my mother who was born in 1924, would have been living in Haverfordwest with her parents and three of her siblings. She was the fourth of five children.

Unfortunately she was the first of the five to die in 1987; and her record remains stubbornly closed to this day, whereas the record of her older sister who died in 2001, and who was married is open, as is her brother's who died in 1990. Her younger sister's record, who was married and who died in 1995 is also closed.

Now I know that I could apply to open Mum's, but I have no need to, and I am 95% certain that none of my cousin's have applied to open my aunt's; so the question is why is it, when she was born less than 100 years ago?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    If I understand the arrangements correctly, there may be more closed records on Ancestry than FMP but there can't possibly be fewer.

That's because Ancestry don't have the mechanism to open closed records.
    There may be fewer also because if someone complains to Findmypast or to the National Archives that a person is living but their record on the 1939 is open that record is redacted. Ancestry seem to be working on a dataset that is 1 to 2 years out of date which means there could be a number of open images on one company's site that is redacted on the others
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Loves to help with queries

I have found my aunt's details on Ancestry. She was living with her parents and older sister. Her sister has been redacted but has been deceased for some years whereas aunty Joan is very much alive. I have never seen the FMP version so don't know what that says. cicilysmith

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast