Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default George Watkins, born about 1790 at Ossory

George Watkins, brn about 1790 at Ossory, Leinster, married Hannah Carley in 1815 - family folklore tells us that parish records recording this wedding were lost - the result of an arson attack - possibly by the same George Watkins. We know George and Hannah had the following children; Joseph (abt 1835, Bordwell), Sarah Ann ( 08Nov1858, Liverpool), George (1859 Moneenroe, Castlecomer, Kilkenny), Hannah Maria (Abt 1862), Elizabeth (11Mar1864 Donaguile, Castlecomer), Thomas Henry (24Mar1866 Gurteen, Castlecomer) and Catherine (23Jul1868 Castlecomer). Can anyone supply any information on George wife Hannah?

Hi Tony and welcome to Brit-Gen
    I have taken this post from your 'Introduce Yourself" thread and moved it to the General Irish Family History forum where, hopefully, those who are more familiar with Irish genealogy will see it.
    I have given it the title 'George Watkins, born about 1790 at Ossory' If you prefer something else just say.
    Unfortunately the irishgenealogy.ie site is having problems at the moment so not accessible. Good luck with the search for George.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Are you sure about the birth dates of George and Hannah's children? Married in 1815 but didn't have their first child until 1835 and then there is a gap to the next child in 1858. Even if Hannah was age 15 when married she would have been 58 when that child was born.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Are you sure about the birth dates of George and Hannah's children? Married in 1815 but didn't have their first child until 1835 and then there is a gap to the next child in 1858. Even if Hannah was age 15 when married she would have been 58 when that child was born.
    Christina
    And it's pushing the limits to say that the George and Hannah who were parents to the Joseph born 1835 were the same George and Hannah who were parents of Catherine born in 1868, as there's a 33-year gap between the births.

Tony, it's very easy to get carried away and assume that every baptism where George and Hannah are the parents are the same family. Did that myself with a William and Mary till I suddenly realised that Mary would have been about 57 years old at the birth of the youngest child. A little more research found that it was a completely different William and Mary because not only had my William died but Mary had re-married by the time the youngest of the second family was born.

I would also be a little cautious about that Liverpool birth/baptism in 1858. It's late in the year (November), and you give year for George (junior) of 1859 in Ireland, with all the subsequent births/baptisms in Ireland.
    What are your sources of proof for these children, and are the dates from births or baptisms?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Growing old Disgracefully

Looking on FreeBMD their is no Sarah Ann Watkins born December Quarter, 1858 Liverpool

If I had found one I would have looked to see who her Mother was.

Only the following
    Watkins Sarah Hereford
    WATKINS Sarah Ann Islington
    WATKINS Sarah Ann Luton
    WATKINS Sarah Ann Hereford

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hmmm, not sure if that worked or not, but I have an image of a headstone which reads: Erected by Margaret Watkins in memory of her beloved husband Joseph Watkins who died 28th June 1892 aged xx years. Also their son William who died xx Dec 1890(?) aged 19yrs. I hope this is my Joseph. The data I have been using (and which now looks highly suspect!) is from a manuscript, author/s unknown, that has been circulating in our family for a couple of decades. I can't see where that original data came from however I can every thing in it will require research to confirm its accuracy. That should fill in a few winter nights!!! Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated.

Growing old Disgracefully

William Watkins birth 10 Oct 1870. Gurteen, Castlecomer, Kilkenny. father Joseph Watkins mother Margaret Taylor.

Marriage Joseph Watkins and Margaret Taylor 1857 1857 Kilkenny, Ireland

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Sandy, Checking with other family members working on our tree, it seems my George and Hannah (spelt Hanna on other trees) had 3 children only: Joseph, whose details by consensus seem accurate, William (husband of Margaret) and Thomas (husband of Eleanor). The other names I now suspect to be errors. I note on a GENI Ancestry tree, someone has suggested that my George Watkins (Ossory abt 1790) was the son William but there is no supporting information, so I have not added this name to my tree unless someone can confirm it. Thanks again everyone, very supportive and helpful.

I am still trying to get my head around this family. There is this death registration for a Joseph Watkins
    Death registration 1892
    Joseph Watkins
    Group Registration ID 3830772
    SR District/Reg Area Carlow
    Age at death 63 so born circa 1829

I can't see a death registration for William Watkins 1880 to 1900 age 19.
    Christina

Added:- Thanks to Alma for sorting out how to access irishgenealogy.ie

It's possible to access Church Records and Civil Records from this url. https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

Or, at least that works for me, but when trying to click other tabs i.e. Useful Links I'm presented with "You have been blocked because of a suspicious activity. We are aware of that."
    William Burroughs