Loves to help with queries

Default Albert Andrews from Wharfedale

Hello, Albert Andrews was born in Wharfedale in 1876 (freebdm 9a/163). His marriage certificate in Australia in 1901 states his father was George (a modeller) & deceased; mother Elizabeth nee Johnson, also deceased. Is anyone able to elaborate on George and Elizabeth. I couldn't find a freebdm for their marriage in Yorkshire. Thank you very much.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There isn't a marriage in Yorkshire, but that does not matter. There are possibles that I have found:

1874 April quarter Newent in Gloucestershire Volume 6A Page 485 George Andrews and Eliza Johnson.

1880 Dec quarter Southampton. Hampshire Volume 2C Page 21 George ALBERT Andrews married one of Sarah Ann Parker or Christannia Smith or Alice Elizabeth Johnson. The only way to know would be to purchase the marriage certificate, and the only way to avoid paying for the wrong certificate would be to specify the brides name - however, you have to pay up front, and then you get a refund if it turns out to be one of the other two.

Certificates can be ordered from: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...app_select.asp

If you register with that site you can also search the birth and death indexes for free. The birth index has more information that others, because it has the mother's maiden name - and I can confirm that the entry you list shows Johnson as the mother's name.

I look for Albert in the 1881, and 1891 censuses without success; perhaps others will have sharper eyes than I.

Famous for offering help & advice

There is marriage at St Peters, Leeds on 10 Aug 1864 between George Andrew 23 Model Maker of Little Queen Street (father's name blank) and Elizabeth Johnson 21 Spinster of Minerva Street, Father = James Johnson, Fishmonger.

The GRO reference is Jul-Sep 1864 Leeds Vol 9b, Page 530

Some of Albert's siblings (from the passenger list) appear to have been baptised/registered in the Leeds area.

Dundee10

I also think that is probably the right marriage. After searching for hours last night I still can't find the family in 1871 or 1881.

I haven't found them in 1881 yet either, but in 1871 they are at Armley Road, Wortley - RG10/4534/36/8

George Andrews 30 Grocer born Alne
    Elizh 26 Wife born Alne
    Mary Ann 3 Daur born Leeds
    James H 2 Son born Leeds
    Jane Clemenson 56 Aunt, Widow, born Westmoreland

Edited to add that on some of the baptisms George is a shop-keeper, but on others he's a model maker.

Dundee10

I had thought that wasn't them in 1871 because of the occupation and the fact that they should have a son Henry aged about 3. James H. appears to be registered as James Herbert, perhaps Henry was a pet name.

A link to the immigration record:

https://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au...Fit&ispdf=true

I had assumed that the 21-year old James Andrews on the same ship was James H, but perhaps you are right - it's a far better fit age-wise.