Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default John Flanagan Army Record

First time asking a question on any site so here goes! Is it possible to find the record of a soldier who served between wars? I am trying to find the military record of a John Flanagan who was born Kildare c1880 and from family info believe he served in the Army. Have found his marriage certificate in 1903 in Limerick (to Catherine McInerney) which states his profession is a 'soldier' and his address shown as 'New Barrack'. His father is also John Flanagan, occupation - labourer.

From 1911 Irish census he is in Limerick with his family and his profession is now a Masons Labourer but shows that three of his children were born in the Durham area of England. We assume he was posted there from Ireland but if so what regiment would he have enlisted in? Or maybe he was just living there for a while and then returned to Ireland. His first child was born in Limerick in 1904 but his next three children (from 1905 - 1909) are the ones born in Durham area. I think I have found them (via Freebmd) but cannot be absolutely certain its them. I also found a newspaper announcement which shows notice of a 'female' born 1905 to a John Flanagan who was a Sergt. Major, but no clue as to regiment etc. but feel this could be him. I have tried to find him via various sites but any John Flanagan results always relate to soldiers who served in wars and subsequently died, so this clearly isn't my John. We believe he died c1948 Limerick.

With such vague info is it possible to track down the military record of this man? Would be most grateful for any help as to where I might search for him. Many thanks.

Veronica

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces war records reading this will explain our connection.
    To check if the children born in Durham are yours the GRO index now gives the mother's maiden name from 1837 so you can use it for births prior to 1917. It is free to use but you have to sign up.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    You could buy one (or more) of these chuildren's birth certificates to see if it gives the father's regiment. They are available in PDF form which is cheaper.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Please post the names and year of births of the children born in England. Edit....it's ok...got them from the census.🙂
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:

FLANAGAN, MAY : MCINERNEY
    GRO Reference: 1905 S Quarter in SOUTH SHIELDS Volume 10A Page 947
    Gortonboy. Mike.

FLANNAGAN, JOHN CHRISTOPHER : MCANERNEY
    GRO Reference: 1907 M Quarter in SOUTH SHIELDS Volume 10A Page 978
    Gortonboy. Mike.

FLANNIGHAN, AGNES : MCANARNY
    GRO Reference: 1909 M Quarter in SOUTH SHIELDS Volume 10A Page 939
    Gortonboy. Mike.

They don't like to make it easy do they? Three different spellings of surname of the children....ditto for mother's maiden name. 😂
    Gortonboy. Mike.

I can't see a service record....maybe one of the children's birth certificates from England will provide the information you need.
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Many thanks Christina and gortonboy for all your info. My goodness - three different spellings of both parents!! No wonder hard to find! Perhaps why I can't find his army records.....but I'll keep trying. Yes will send for at least one cert to see what info this throws up. Thanks again.

Hi
    when you order a certificate use the spelling as it is on the index or they will say there is no such record and give you a refund.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast