Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default John Flanagan Army Record - Update

My last thread left me trying to find army records of John Flanagan who at some point between 1905 and 1910 was living South Shields, Co Durham and thought he might have been posted there on duty. With previous help and advice from this forum I obtained the birth certificates for two of the three children born this area in the hope that the profession would give me a clue as to regiment he was serving with. Unfortunately I'm no further forward as this is listed as "Contractors Labourer" on one and "Shipyard Labourer" on the other, so maybe he just went to Durham for work and not as a posting as family believed.

I know that at the time of his marriage in Limerick in 1903 (to Catherine McInerney) he was a soldier with his address shown as "New Barrack". Where was/is New Barrack and would this help in trying to track down any regiment serving there? From talking to family it would appear that through the generations other males have served with the British Army. Does this info give any sort of insight into John's army history? It is possible that his father (also John Flanagan) joined the British Army as well but I don't have any details as to birth etc. for John Snr. John Jnr was born c1880 in Kildare but cannot clarify any info as to address or mother's name, etc.

It appears I've hit the proverbial brick wall..... I've only been doing this research for a couple of months and am finding it very difficult to find my way about and I know its hard to track down Irish records because so many were destroyed. Oh, for sight of the late 1800's census - it would make it so much easier!! With so little info to go on I'm not sure of my next steps but would appreciate any help or advice on where to go from here. Many thanks.

Hi
    I have merged your update thread with your original post about john Flanagan. Now we don't have to flip between the two to see what information had already been found.
    Christina

Added: According to this site New Barracks was in Fermoy Co Cork.
    https://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000562928/Map

But wikipedia says in Limerick and still operative
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarsfield_Barracks
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Default John Flanagan Army Record

Hello. Thank you for merging the two. Sorry, should have realised that in order to get more help needed to keep the requests together. So new at how to use a forum but hopefully will soon get the hang of it!!

Many thanks for info on the barracks and will look at these links.

Veronica

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

hi Veronice, John is my direct descendant, I would love to chat to you about what you found as i am also researching him

Quote Originally Posted by nancyh100 View Post
    hi Veronice, John is my direct descendant, I would love to chat to you about what you found as i am also researching him

Hi Nancy

I did receive your previous email setting out your private email address so replied to that on 23rd June. Do hope you have now received this.

Veronica

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12