Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Denbigh assizes records

Hi all, my first post. I am after any information that could help me access assizes records. I have a convict ancestor who was transported to Tasmania. He was sentenced on 27th July 1833. Any ideas on where I start?

Knowledgeable and helpful

If you give us his name and any other details you have regarding him, we'll see if there is anything to be found.

Emeltee

Brick wall demolition expert!

Assize records which exist are generally held by the National Archives at Kew. The assizes were organised into circuits - in other words the judges and the courts went around in a circuit, and Denbighshire formed part of the North and South Wales Circuit from 1830 onwards.

Bound for Australia by David T Hawkins lists all the records that have survived which is a bit of a mis-mash, and perhaps your local library will have a copy of this - pages 354-355.

The indictments and depositions (ASSI 64 and ASSI 65) appear to be there, but not the judgement rolls.

However, there are a lot of sources on line that you can use:

Findmypast has the Criminal Register, which will tell you what he was charged with and the sentence, they also have the prison hulk registers, which will tell which prison hulk he was held on and for how long, and what his conduct was like, and his health. If your lucky, depending which hulk he was on, you may even find out something about his family.

Old newspapers, which are also available on Findmypast may have a report of his trial.

Why not give us his name and let us see what we can find for you?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

James Jordan Jones Convict Number 37648 departed London 4 April 1834 on "John Barry" arrived 11 August 1834.
    Denbigh Ass 27th July 1833. Believe he was originally from Liverpool. I also believe that he was sentenced with his brother Robert Jordan Jones.
    I would like to know any information on his family in England but from here in Australia I haven't been able to access anything.
    I have followed his life here in Australia as much as I can. After his pardon he went to Victoria (gold fields) and married Margaret Sullivan (Irish girl) ad had four children. They separated and he ended up dying in the Old Geelong Gaol (he was jailed for vagrancy) - sad life and never returned to England so any information on his life back there and where I might find it would be appreciated.

Growing old Disgracefully

James Jordan Jones and Robert Jordan Jones both together in the England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892

Denbighshire assizes records on ancestry 7 years transportation ( I cannot make out the rest as writing has faded)

Both charged with 5 larceny convictions

Denbighshire, Wales

On his Marriage cert. did it have his fathers name and what names did he give his children

Have you traced his brother in Australia

Well I've just found and interesting read on "Find my Past" Robert Jordan Jones name is Robert Walsh Is father petitioned the court for him not to be Transported. Robert was from Liverpool taken from is home by JJJ when he had never be away from home before and was only 9 days away from home when caught with JJJ.

HO27 Midsummer assizes - larceny five conviction – 7 years on each of two convictions and 1 month imprisonment on each of the three others

HO13 Home office correspondence - The order to send them to the prison hulk Ganymede dated 18 Nov 1833 – both brothers removed from Denbigh.

HO8 Convict Hulks, Convict Prisons And Criminal Lunatic Asylums: Quarterly Returns Of Prisoners: James born 1811 convicted 14 July 1833 at Ruthin (town in Denbighshire) for larceny and his sentence was “14 years” – Hulk prison number 2054 (Robert was 2055, and he was 5 years younger). They were both transported aboard the John Barry on 19 March 1834. Unfortunately the prison hulk Ganymede records don’t include any details about family.

North Wales Chronicle 7 August 1833
    Shop Lifting – James Jordan Jones (22) and Robert Jordan Jones (17) were indicted for stealing a hat, the property of Mr. Thornley, of Wrexham; also three books, our of the shop of Mr. Hughes, book-seller; of Wrexham, Betsy Corley was also indicted for receiving the books, knowing them to have been stolen. There were three other indictments against the male prisoners for similar offences and they pleaded guilty to every charge. The trial was proceeded against the female, but for want of sufficient evidence to show her guilty knowledge she was acquitted. It appeared from the circumstances related, that the two men belonged to Liverpool, and in passing through Chester, on a “professional” excursion they picked up Miss Corley, who accompanied them to Wrexham, where they succeeded in fleecing shopkeepers and others to a pretty tolerable amount. The prisoner, Jones, were sentence for the first offence to be imprisoned one month; for the second one month; for the third one month; for the fourth transported seven years and for the fifth an additional seven years.

It might be worth contact the Denbighshire archives to see if they have any gaol records, as these often are a good source of information for genealogists. https://archives.denbighshire.gov.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Well I've just found and interesting read on "Find my Past" Robert Jordan Jones name is Robert Walsh Is father petitioned the court for him not to be Transported. Robert was from Liverpool taken from is home by JJJ when he had never be away from home before and was only 9 days away from home when caught with JJJ.
    Reading between the appeal Robert Walsh was saying that Robert Jordan Jones was an alias, and his son's name was really Robert Walsh, and then the inference is that James Jordan Jones was not his son, as he is simply referred to as an "idle companion".

The reference on Findmypast if joytuc52 wants to search for it is "Home Office: Criminal Petitions: Series I" - HO17

So do you think they where brothers who used the name Jordan Jones as aliases

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast