Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    So do you think they where brothers who used the name Jordan Jones as aliases
    I'm not certain. Reading Robert Walsh Senior's petition it's possible to construe that they were not brothers.

I know from doing the research that I have done on convicts that many convicts used aliases. That was for a variety of reasons. In the book that I have just written about the convicts of the Mangles there are several whose parents write and say that's my boy and his name is really "Fred", and he's a good boy. There was also one who assumed his brother's name. His brother subsequently emigrated to NSW as a free citizen seemingly oblivious to his convict brother, and certainly the descendants of the free emigrant had no idea about the convict brother, until I contacted them!!

One of the reasons for using an alias might be that someone had a previous conviction and which they were trying to hide, because one felony conviction usually resulted in a prison sentence served at home, but a second one got you transported.

I can find a birth and baptism for Robert Walsh the son of Robert and Helen Walsh born 29 June 1816 bapt 23 July 1816 at St. Mary’s RC, Highfield Street, Liverpool. But I cannot see a corresponding one for a John Walsh. Ancestry's "Liverpool, England, Catholic Baptisms, 1741-1906".

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sandyhall - All the information I have is the names of James Jordan Jones which after becoming free he dropped the Jones and was known as James Jordan. Robert Jordan Jones did have an alias here but married under the name Robert Jordan Jones.

James Jordan Jones was 28 when he married Margaret Sullivan in Launceston Tasmania on 4th September 1843 but on both his and Roberts marriage certificates there was no mention of parents name (unusual and frustrating).

I have though that maybe they were not brothers when Robert used an alias in Tasmania for a short period

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow thank you for that - can I access this information on line anywhere?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Sandyhall No parents name on certificate but he did have 4 children Benjamin, Cornelius, Martha and Maria - Maria is my great grandmother.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by joytuc52 View Post
    Wow thank you for that - can I access this information on line anywhere?
    All the information I gave you came from Findmypast or Ancestry.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello - I am also researching James Jordan Jones - convict #777 on the James Barry.
    James married Margaret Sullivan ? ? ?
    They had two sons Cornelius William and Benjamin.
    I have Cornelius William m. Martha Davis whose mother was Maria Cockerill.
    Is that the Maria you refer to ?
    Last edited by Ancient 1914; 23-08-2018 at 12:59 AM. Reason: More details to hand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12