Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default abbreviation for Joseph (as forename)

Has anyone seen Joseph abbreviated in English as Josh where the h is a superscript?

I'm trying to work out who owned a London shop for scientific instruments over most of the 19th and the start of the 20th centuries. I know that the founder, Joseph Long, died in 1846, but the shop/instrument makers retained the same name until 1936. I am still trying to work out which of the dozens of the Joseph Longs in the 1841 census was him since I don't have any personal data about him (not even whether he lived over the shop) in the hope of identifying children. However, one or two auction sites show instruments from the correct address but interpreting the name of the maker as Joshua because of that superscripted h.

Is it just the company name, or could it be the name of the heir to the business, that is the question...

Knowledgeable and helpful

I think I have, although I can't recall exactly when or where, as it would not be one of my own ancestors. But it seems a likely way to do an abbreviation at that time. Are directories any help? pwholt

Thus far, all I’ve found in the directories is the name, address and standard description of their wares. I’ve had most luck with the auction sites - some of them seem to go to a lot of effort to provide detail. One of them even highlighted a “by royal appointment” tag on one of the firm’s instruments!

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Lesley
    In 1851 there are a family of Longs in Little Tower Street including James Long b 1803 philosophical instrument maker and son Arthur hydrometer maker. Guessing they are relatives.
    HO 107 piece 1531 folio 269 page 20.

Thanks! That could be Joseph’s heir - how many hydrometer makers would you find in one street? With any luck, James will lead me to a bit of info on his Dad, as well.

Famous for offering help & advice

The free search on uk census online has a 40 year old Joseph Long, instrument maker in London , born outside of London. I can't see the details. Can't seem to pick him up on any other sites so far though.

I couldn’t find any Longs in London using Anc earlier, so they obviously had a blip... That’s when I heard dinner calling!

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    The free search on uk census online has a 40 year old Joseph Long, instrument maker in London , born outside of London. I can't see the details. Can't seem to pick him up on any other sites so far though.
    That could be this one, he's still alive in 1861.

1841, 23, Mary le Strand Plce, Peckham. HO107; Piece: 1051; Book: 6; Folio: 40; Page: 2;
    Joseph Long 40, instrument maker,
    Mary Long 30
    Susan Long 8
    Mary Long 5
    Amelia Long 5
    Rebecca Long 3

1861, 3, St Mary's Rd, Peckham. Piece: 383; Folio: 163; Page: 41
    Joseph Long 63, hydrometer maker, Somerset
    Mary Ann Long 51
    Mary Ann Long 26
    Amelia Long 25
    William Long 19
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Has anyone seen Joseph abbreviated in English as Josh where the h is a superscript?

Yes, Lesley. I believe that it was a common from of abbreviation used by some enumerators. One of my great uncles was recorded as Jos" in the 1851 census where the quote mark was a superscript squiggle. I have ranted a lot about incorrect Ancestry trees and several with parts of my family on them have this man down as Josh and a variety of other corruptions based on one person's mis-interpretation of that particular census. There are many ways to check of course; baptism records (where available) and subsequent census and BMD records but not everyone does that. I noticed that the same enumerator also used other common abbreviations on the same page including Eliz"(using a superscript th), Wm, and Thos,. The next census - the obvious check - clearly showed that he was Joseph although annoyingly the parents neither registered his birth nor baptised him.

Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

I think that he's another son, brother to Grisel's James in #4.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast