Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks Tony. The original appearance of "Josh" is on a metal stamp, all in uppercase and with the address of the shop in a photo on Ebay. The seller had read it as Joshua.

Since I posted #1, members have found several members of the family - there doesn't seem to be a Joshua among them, so that's good!

A fountain of knowledge

LESLEY
    I googled "J Long hydrometer" and there is an entry for JOSEPH Long Science Museum collection.
    Another entry says "This is a mid 19th century Sikes hydrometer set in superb condition and manufactured by Joseph Long, who worked at 20 Little Tower Street, London, from the 1820's until 1884."

Hope that helps?!
    best wishes Jill

A fountain of knowledge

PS
    .dnfa.com/cms/pages/lot/14080/9
    Joseph Long is recorded in Banfield, Edwin BAROMETER MAKERS AND RETAILERS 1660-1900 as working in London from 1820 onwards; first at 20 Little Tower Street before moving to 43 Eastcheap in 1885.
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 26-04-2018 at 9:37 AM. Reason: such links are not allowed

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    PS
    www.
    dnfa.com/cms/pages/lot/14080/9Joseph Long is recorded in Banfield, Edwin BAROMETER MAKERS AND RETAILERS 1660-1900 as working in London from 1820 onwards; first at 20 Little Tower Street before moving to 43 Eastcheap in 1885.
    My bold emphasis

This link returned 'This Page cannot be found' from a commercial auction site
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 26-04-2018 at 9:38 AM. Reason: broke the link

A fountain of knowledge

I thought details of the addresses and dates might help.

Famous for offering help & advice

From the London Gazette of May 30 1820.
    Bankrupts
    T Gill , Little Tower Street London, hydrometer maker.
    Joseph Long possibly took over this business.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    I thought details of the addresses and dates might help.
    I'm sure the address & date details are of interest/help to Lesley.

My comment was purely relating to the URL which did not work and is to a commercial site.
    Active links to commercial sites are against Brit-Gen T&C. They should be deactivated, inserting a space after www. is the easiest way to deactivate a link.

I broke the links before reading to the end of the thread so now your posts don't quite make sense but I have left them so people can see what happens.

If that makes sense
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    I broke the links before reading to the end of the thread so now your posts don't quite make sense but I have left them so people can see what happens.

If that makes sense
    Perfectly.

May I respectfully suggest reading to the end of the threads first.
    Now go stand in the corner, naughty naughty.

I'll join you, I should have thought to break the link in the quote I used myself.

Thank you Gillian, every little bit helps. As Macwil says, the page is no longer there (probably auto-expired as the auction was last month) but I managed to find it on the Wayback machine!

As Ladykis said, we can only allow urls to commercial sites if the link can't be automatically used so most of us just add a "return" or a space somewhere in the middle of the link so that it can be used by copy/paste but not on a simple click.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast