Starting to feel at home

Default Manchester Street, Bethnal Green 1861

I am looking for William Auvache (b. 1822) and his family who should have been living on Manchester Street in Bethnal Green in 1861. However, Manchester Street doesn't appear to exist in 1861.

In 1851 they were living at 23 Manchester Street:

Class: HO107; Piece: 1542; Folio: 149; Page: 10

Then in 1871 they were living at 33 Menotti Street:

Class: RG10; Piece: 498; Folio: 14; Page: 21

Manchester Street was renamed Menotti Street in 1864, so I should find them living on Manchester Street in 1861. I have looked at all the Bethnal Green Town and Church records and found pages for streets very close to Manchester Street but no the pages I want.

Manchester Street isn't listed on the TNA census street index either. So I'm thinking there was a name change or the enumerator made a mistake or the pages I need are missing altogether.

Dundee10

Reputation beyond repute

Lots went missing from the 1861 census. As Dundee has suggested, check the catalogue for missing bits.

Although it's not needed in this case, for a general purpose search for missing bits use also the keyword "wanting". "Missing" and "Wanting" mean different things to archivists.

For example "RG 9" AND "bethnal green" AND (missing OR wanting)

Starting to feel at home

Thanks. I think my worst fears have been confirmed. The pages are missing. 1 page at the end of District 6 and 2 at the start of District 7. I'm about 90% certain that's where Manchester Street would have been