Famous for offering help & advice

Default James Smith and the Carney family.

My ancestor was James Smith born c1790. He married Sarah Inkpen at All Saints Church, High Street, Oxford in August 1819. The witnesses was Hannah Hawkes and Andrew Carney. James and Sarah had several children inbetween 1820 and 1840. Names such as Sarah, Edwin, George, Ann, William, Henry, James, Charles, Eliza (born 1822 who is my ancestor), Elizabeth and Harriet. Harriet, Edwin and James did in infancy. Sarah died in 1841 aged 21 and Henry died in 1846 aged 20. Only William, Eliza, Ann, George and Charles survived.

James was a tin plate worker/brazier. In the 1841 census, James says he was not born in the county of residence, which was Oxfordshire. The 1851 census was the first one which required people to give their exact birthplace. Sadly James died on the 24th February 1849 aged 59, so 2 years prior to the 1851 census. His widow died in 1858 aged 62. She was from Oxford.

I have traced Andrew Carney and it seems he was from London. He married in 1834 at Fleet Street to Elizabeth Parnell. The signatures match that of the Andrew Carney who witnessed James Smith's wedding in Oxford in 1819. Andrew was a gold size maker. Seems Elizabeth died and Andrew remarried in 1842 and he was a widower, a gold size maker and his father was James Carney a cutler. All occupations that involved metal such as coins, cutlery tin etc. Andrew is on the 1841 census in Clerkenwell aged 53. He died in 1845 aged 56 so born c1788/1789.

Seems James Smith and Andrew Carney and Andrew's father James were all working in the metal business.

3 of James Smith's children worked in the tin plate making industry. One stayed in Oxford while Charles moved to London and George to Basingstoke in Hampshire.

Certainly food for thought? May have been that Andrew and James knew each other through work but always a chance they were family or something. Andrew living in London and James Smith living in Oxford. Andrew travelled all the way to Oxford to witness James' wedding in 1819.

Also Carney sounds Irish or Scottish and nan always said there was an Irish connection on this side of the family through her grandad James Edgington, who was James Smith's maternal grandson.

Sorry forgot to mention, James Smith never left a will when he died in 1849. Was going to add that to the first post but the edit feature only lasts a short while.

Just found a Ann Carney baptism in 1819 to Andrew and Sarah in St Clement, Oxford. He was a Turner at the time. He was in Edgware Middlesex in 1822, a gilder.

Mods can edit at any time, just ask if you need something edited.
    However, I’ve always found that shortish posts are more effective!

Small update. I researched the other witness. Hannah Hawkes. She was the daughter of Jonas Hawkes and Mary. I think Jonas was born in 1764 in Marsh Gibbon, Buckinghamshire. He had a sister Elizabeth Hawkes born 1767. An Eliz Hawkes wed Joseph Smith in 1786 in Marsh Gibbon. May be another red herring but is another lead. I then today found in historic newspapers website a Thomas Smith death notice in Marsh Gibbon, aged 79, a brazier.