Thread: Weavers

Starting to feel at home

Default Weavers

My great x2 grandad,Joseph McMillan 1800-1866,was a weaver.On the 1841 census he is living in the Cairns,Cambuslang where there were a number of weavers.I have tried to find some history of the weavers there but without success.Most of the history of that area is about the miners.
    Can anyone suggest were I can look for weavers in that area? 10 years later he was in Girvan,another place with a lot of weavers.I know about the weavers in Glasgow,the Carlton don't know much about other places.
    Thanks for any help or suggestions welcome

Hi
    This is a book by Colin Findlay 2013 Cambuslang Industrial Industry which mentions weaving.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for replying,I have looked at Colin Finlay's book but it concentrates on the miners. Sandy

At the beginning of the 19th century, weaving was mostly a home industry. It became more centralised as the century went on.
    You may find the Wikipedia article HERE interesting.
    A lot depends on what sort of a weaver he was, did the census say? Flax? Silk?
    I see that the Lanark museum features weaving - look HERE. It might be worth visiting them.
    It should also be worth contacting/visiting the local archives or FHS - there's contact info HERE