Geoff1959

Default Alfred E SERLE obituray

Can anyone help with a bit of a mystery around an obitury for Alfred E Serle?
    Published in the Western Morning News 24/06/1937
    The first interesting thing is that it states "chief mourners Harry and Arthur Serle"
    I have a Henry Serle b1877 but have not come accross anything else that suggests that he preffered to be called Harry. Also I had Aurthur Reginald Serle as deceased in 1918 ! after a further search I have found a death record for Q1 1949 in Bath, Somerset.
    The Obit also mentions Mr Frank James (brother-in-law). I dont have a Frank or Frederick James in my tree.
    I do have a Fredrick James Sweet who was married to Olive Maude Serle who was Henry Serle's daughter but their marriage was not until Q3 1938 after this event.
    Other names of interest are Harold Way (nephew) and Reggie Teague (cousin) I dont have these in my tree at present.
    Did the newspaper get some of the facts wrong? Any help to shed light much appreciated.

Regards,
    Geoff

If it was me, the first thing I'd do is check that this isn't another Alfred Serle... You do get clumps of similar names where a family a couple of generations before had several boys who all had children... Of course, it would be unlikely that they were all violin teachers!

(BTW my Uncle Harry always appears on written material as Henry, but orally was always called Harry)...

The 1871 census shows parents Alfred & Emily with children Emily A, Alfred E and Laura E.
    The 1881 adds George H and Henry A.
    The 1891 gives middle names and adds Arthur. Emily has moved on. Middle names in order: Ernest, Colleen, Henry, Albert, Reginald.

Presumably, Laura's the one mentioned as a wreath sender. Frank James must either be Mr Emily or Mr Laura.

Did you know that Ancestry (dot) co (dot)uk has a lot of its databases free over Easter weekend?

Geoff1959

Hi Lesley thankyou for the reply.
    I'm sure that this is our man as all the other details fit. Within the family he was known to be ateacher of music and a virtuoso of the the violin. Just really curious about Harold Way and Regie Teague.
    Regards,
    Geoff

Geoff1959

UPDATE Some of the mystery solved. Reggie Teague seems to be Reginald Elias Teague b1890 Stoke Damerel [my second cousin once removed] I'm not sure what relation that would make him to Alfred E Serle who was my great uncle. I'm not very good with that sort of thing. The connection seems to be through the marriage between Bessie Wannell (b 1868) and Richard Teague (b 1866)
    I'll keep looking for info on Harold Way (nephew)
    Geoff

Geoff1959

MORE on Frank James I'm still confused about Frank James and Harold Way.
    Here is an excerpt from the obitury
    Chief mourners at the funeral were Messrs. Harry and Arthur Serle (brothers),
    Mr Frank James (brother-in-law), Mr Harold Way (nephew), Mr Reggie Teague (cousin),
    and Mr William Doidge (Whitchurch)
    Brother-in-law: The brother of ones wife or husband, The husband of ones sister or sister-in-law.
    Alred E Serle was married to Alice Bridget Bennee his siblings were Emily Amelia serle who married Hugh William Tatum, Laura Ellen Serle who married Robert Edward Reiss-smith, George Henry Serle who married Bessie Hawk, Henry (Harry) Albert Serle who married Harriet Anne Abram, and Arthur Reginal Serle who as far as i can tell remained single.
    Anyone care to help me sort this out?

Geoff1959

Still trying to solve this.
    Brother-in-law: The brother of ones wife or husband, The husband of ones sister or sister-in-law.
    So by that score Frank James must be 1. Alice Bridget Bennee's brother? or 2. Emily's husband Hugh Tatum? or 3. Laura's husband Robert Reiss-smith? or 4. George Henry Serle's wifes brother all Hawk or 5. Henry Albert Serle's wifes brother all abram? Anyone have any ideas?