Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peagum family

Default Peagum family

I am interested in finding more about my Peagum ancestors from Limerick (probably the city, though it could be the county). Unfortunately all I have right know is the name of an individual, Emily Peagum, born 10 Feb 1866 to 10 Feb 1867, the name of her father, John, and the fact that she later moved to Liverpool, England, where she married and died.

Does anyone know about this branch of the Peagum family? I believe it's a rather rare name, even in Limerick, so I was hoping someone might have information on one of these persons, or advice on how to find out more.

Thanks in advance.

I can see a marriage for Emily Peagum March 1/4 1891 groom Joseph Cassas. Just found them in 1901 census Joseph Casas, Emily age 33. RG13 piece 3415 folio 18 page28
    The preferred spellings seems to be Casas and son Carlos's birth reg on the GRO index has the mmn as Peagum so no change there.
    I am just getting a handle on this family
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Yep, that's right. Sorry, I should have posted this information before, probably. Emily moved to Liverpool at some point (I don't know when exactly), where she married Joseph Casas/Cassas (also the son of a mariner, and I believe a mariner himself), and had a number of children. I suspect she died there too, though I couldn't ever find a record – don't worry about that though, as I'm much more interested in her birth and origins.

Baptism
    Wilhelmina Cassas
    Age 0
    Born 6 Jan 1889
    Baptised 1 Feb 1889
    At St Peter's Priory, Lancashire, England
    Father - Josephi Carsas
    Mother - Emily Peagum

Whilhelmina born before Emily and Jose's marriage but at least we know she was in Liverpool prior to the 1891 census.
    Neither of the sponsors on this record have the Peagum name.
    At least knowing Emily was RC could help with the search in Ireland.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

There are records of a George and Thomas Peagum living in Limerick in the 1820s. https://titheapplotmentbooks.national...&search=Search
    They would be of the right generation to be Emily's potential grandfather. I checked the Cahernarry parish baptismal records to no avail, however.

I am quite confident Emily was Roman Catholic, though not 100% sure.

Wilhelmina was my ancestor in fact. She was the second of two children born before her parents' marriage. (The rest were all born after.) Carlos was the first, born June 1887, so we know Emily was there by this time.

Emily was still alive in 1919 and living at 27 Blundell St Liverpool. This information is on Wilhelmina and her 3 year old son Jose's shipping record on their return to the US in 1919. Brother Vincent also emigrated to the US.
    Wilhelmina died in 1982 Holy Sepulchre Cemetery Coram, Suffolk County, New York. She married Vincente J Requeiro in Liverpool 1913.
    Joseph was buried 22 March 1921 Ford Cemetery, Lancashire

Emily's birth date is a bit flexible. The 1911 census has her age 41 so born c1870. In 1901 she is 33 so born c1868. If her marriage certificate gives a different age it may be because she was trying to present as older to be closer to Jose's age or because she would have needed parental permission if not of legal marrying age. So widening her birth year in searches may help.
    I can't get any results on https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ for the surname Peagum.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Yes, good point about the age. Her marriage certificate implies she was born between 10 Feb 1866 and the same date 1867, but this may need to be extended, especially to later years, for the reasons you say. The lack of results on Irish Genealogy could suggest a number of things I guess... what do you think is most likely? She was not RC? A transcription error? Another reason?

There are 4 baptisms and a marriage - RC - on ancestry for the surname Peagum in Limerick but they are all far too early for Emily.
    I widened the search by using wildcards P*g*m but still no luck
    Others with more experience researching in Ireland could find something.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Thank you for your efforts, Christina. It's certainly not an easy one to track down... I suspect a transcription error somewhere, if indeed her birth record has ever been transcribed. But then I'm not very knowledgeable about Irish records at all...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast