Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peagum family

So, I've been looking at the birth records for Emily Peagum's children, to see if they might reveal an insight. Not a lot, but at least I have some names of godparents now:

Joseph Peagum, born 1887
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...?pid=300169606
    godmother: Margarita McCabe(?)

Wilhelmina Casas, born 1889
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...?pid=300707839
    godfather: William Park/Pach
    godmother: Margarita McClean

George Casas, born 1901
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...?pid=301519518
    godmother: Anna Charlotta Soderberg

Any advice on what to do with this information?

Well you can search for them in the censuses and BMD's to see if they are any relation but it just may be they were just friends/neighbours and of the same religion.
    I wonder if this the birth reg for the Soderberg witness
    Births Mar 1886
    Hannah Charlotte Soderberg Liverpool 8b/101 mmn Kennis

9 White Street Liverpool
    Nils Soderberg 43 Carpenter sweden
    Ellen Soderberg 39
    Anne C Soderberg 15 cigar dresser
    Catherine Soderberg 12
    Andrew Soderberg 10
    John Soderberg 7
    wife and children all born Liverpool
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Yes, possibly. I was thinking the McClean/McCabe women could be relations though potentially, given the Irish surnames.

I did a bit more searching today, and turned up a couple of tentative candidates...

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...=successSource

George Peagam b. 1839
    Pros: right age to be Emily's father, clearly a mariner, same name as Emily's son
    Cons: wrong name according to marriage record (should be John), born in Devon (no evidence suggesting *he* wasn't, although we have records suggesting Emily was born in Limerick, Ireland)

Then a few records from https://www.myheritage.com/names/john_pegum. Sadly I can't view the full information, as I don't have a membership. If anyone could help me out here, I would be much obliged.

John Thomas Pegum, 1867 - 1934
    John Thomas Pegum was born on month day 1867, at birth place, to George Pegum and Bridget Pegum (born O'Sullivan).
    George was born on October 1 1839, in Limerick.
    Bridget was born on ABT1851 1833, in Co. Limerick.
    John had 3 sisters: Josephine (?) Pegum and 2 other siblings.
    ^ I am wondering if one of his siblings could be Emily. Also, just perhaps his father George Peagum could be the Devon one mentioned above?

John William Pegum, 1879 - 1960
    John William Pegum was born on month day 1879, to Charles Pegum and Elizabeth Pegum (born Grim).
    Elizabeth was born on April 6 1856.
    John had 4 siblings: Edith Pegum and 3 other siblings.
    ^ Could Emily be one of his siblings perhaps?

John Jr. Pegum
    John Jr. Pegum was born to John William Pegum and Martha Mattie Pegum (born Brinkman).
    John was born on January 11 1879.
    Martha was born on April 18 1889.
    John had 4 siblings: Evangeline Edith Olson (born Pegum) and 3 other siblings.
    ^ Could Emily be one of his siblings perhaps?

So, if anyone has a MyHeritage membership, and could perhaps investigate these leads, I would be much obliged!

Some thoughts further to the first record of my previous post... This may be clutching at straws, but Emily also had a son named George. And her grandfather and an uncle were both named William, so perhaps a connection to Emily's daughter's name 'Wilhelmina'. William is a common name, George slightly less (as far as I know), and Wilhelmina much less so. I'm also wondering if Emily could have named George as her father but the scribe misheard? I mean, they at least have the same initial sound... yep, I'm trying hard to make excuses here.

I keep coming back to this but the only result I get is a headache and a befuddled brain.

I'll keep trying.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hah, you're not the only one, Christina! I should be getting some more information tomorrow about this George Peagum (from Devon, who served in the Royal Navy), so will let you know the results of that.

Really appreciate you sticking at this and trying to help. I won't blame you if you give up though.

Loves to help with queries

I notice that the name Peagum does not appear in Griffiths Valuation which acts as the mid 19th century census substitute and covers all Ireland. It was a survey of the occupiers of land and buildings throughout the country 1847-1864 with a view to levying rates, so was very thorough. County Limerick was surveyed in 1850.
    By the Irish 1901 census the only Peagum in the country is a Mary Peagum, unmarried, aged 75 a servant in Kishyquirk (Ballyvarra, Limerick) see https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...quirk/1493849/
    Limerick has a very good local studies library that has a large online collection. You may want to check it out www.limerickcity.ie/Library/LocalStudies/

Loves to help with queries

Default Peagum try Pegum in Lmerick

I have had a further look for Peagum bmd in the Limerick area and cannot see any births with this name between 1864 and 1900 - ( full Irish civil registration started in 1864). However I note that there are a number of Pegum births in Cahara in the Glin area of Limerick including a death of an Ellen Pegum a widow of Stephen Pegum a merchant in 1891 registered by her son James Pegum. See https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....59/4727295.pdf
    As the images of the Irish bmd registers are free online at that site covering Births: 1864 to 1916, Marriages: 1871 to 1941, Deaths: 1878 to 1966 you may want to look at it. When you search the results are summarised by registration district and you can then filter by district. The registration districts that cover areas in County Limerick are Croom, Glin, Kanturk, Kilmallock, Limerick, Mitchelstown, Newcastle, Rathkeale, Roscrea & Tipperary.

Quote Originally Posted by JNicLiam View Post
    I have had a further look for Peagum bmd in the Limerick area and cannot see any births with this name between 1864 and 1900 - ( full Irish civil registration started in 1864). However I note that there are a number of Pegum births in Cahara in the Glin area of Limerick including a death of an Ellen Pegum a widow of Stephen Pegum a merchant in 1891 registered by her son James Pegum. See https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....59/4727295.pdf
    As the images of the Irish bmd registers are free online at that site covering Births: 1864 to 1916, Marriages: 1871 to 1941, Deaths: 1878 to 1966 you may want to look at it. When you search the results are summarised by registration district and you can then filter by district. The registration districts that cover areas in County Limerick are Croom, Glin, Kanturk, Kilmallock, Limerick, Mitchelstown, Newcastle, Rathkeale, Roscrea & Tipperary.
    Thanks a lot. That looks like a very useful website, so I'll give it a closer look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast