Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: moralee family

Default moralee family

trying solve a family mystery , theres a connection with my family to the last man to be hanged ernest bernard scott from blyth who murderd his girl friend becky quinn , please if anyone can help me?

Can you give us a little more info please? For a start, when did this happen? And which people from your family would have been around at that time?
    Our volunteers are good, but they do need something to work with.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Dundee10

Ernest was apparently aged 28 in 1919 but there is no birth registration with that full complement of names. There are a few Ernest SCOTTs on the 1911 census but none with the middle initial 'B'. Other Ernest Bs around the same age on earlier census returns are Ernest Barrington and Ernest Bedforth, so the first step would be to try and find out exactly who he was.

A fountain of knowledge

Welcome vixtoria,
    A search for 'ernest bernard scott from blyth' on the web produced this page:-
    https://www.britishexecutions.co.uk/e...nt.php?key=357

Regards,
    Malcolm

There's a quite comprehensive report in the Morpeth Herald 05 Dec 1919. It mentions that Rebecca Jane Quinn had a baby; also says Ernest had been a ship's fireman. Also mention of a religious service which took place at Scott's grandmother's home, Mrs James Scott, at Bedlington, the service was conducted by the Salvation Army.

Mention too of a letter to his mother. The letter was received by Mrs Scott who had adopted him [Ernest] as her own child in infancy. In the letter he mentions 'our Annie; Mrs Watson; our Bob and cousin Jimmy; Tom and the children

A Mrs Davison received a letter from EBS which is addressed 'Dear Peter and Bella' and says 'love to Maggie' (Mrs Davison's dau) and your little children.
    Alma

A possible for 1901
    1901 census, 7,* Lowgate, Bedlington. RG13; Piece: 4834; Folio: 43; Page: 25
    James Scott 56, coal miner hewer, Carsdon Northumberland
    Isabella Scott 48, wife, Cullercoates Northumberland
    Thomas Scott 31, son, Cullercoates
    Robert Scott 17, son, Cambois, Northumberland
    Ernest Scott 9, grandson, Cambois
    Henry Stanfield 28, boarder.

*could be COWGATE, rather than LOWGATE. The 1911 census looks like 7, COWGATE on this census Ernest is described as James and Isabella's son!
    Alma

1891, 7, Lowgate. RG12; Piece: 4257; Folio: 45; Page: 17
    James Scott 47
    Isabella Scott 39
    Thomas Scott 21
    John Scott 18
    Annie Scott 17
    James Scott 13
    Robert Scott 7
    William Harland 28
    Matthew Henry King 17
    Alma

I have no time now to attempt to take the search further. Maybe another sleuth will join the hunt
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I have no time now to attempt to take the search further. Maybe another sleuth will join the hunt
    For us to help further please can you answer Lesley's questions @ #2
    Alma

Hello everyone wow I’m so overwhelmed with the response thank you so much everyone it really means the world to me , I am just waiting at the dentist to get my tooth fixed ouch ! Ok the story is .... so my Granda peter scott Moralee has always told me we have a murderer in the family and he’s called William Scott .... he said he has loads of letters from prison from him for murderdinf his darling Becky ... anyway recently we have seen my grandad twin sister Patricia and she said he was called bill but they seem a bit unsure on his name and she said our family adopted him ... so this is confusing ! Lol so u went to the library I found a book of hangings and I found Ernest Bernard scott and it matches up to him the whole story it is him for sure , i checked the news papers out also from -1919 and his letters to his family some of them
    Are there and he is saying Bella now Bella is my grandad aunty so she’s the connection she had all his letters and we are so confused ! My Granda is sure he was adopted by the Moralee’s but then if you read Ernest letters in prison it explains that he writes to Mrs scott and called her mother and that Mrs scott adopted him , I’m very lost , I really want to know who he lived with , my Granda said his dad Jon Moralee was like a brother to this murderer xx

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast