Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: moralee family

The trial report in the Scotsman for 6 Nov 1919 gives his full name as Lawrence Ernest Bernard Scott. May be a mistake as the other papers omit the Lawrence.
    He was apparently a former naval stoker (Gloucester Echo), and gave himself up, and confessed saying that he was happy now... Claimed that he was headed for the river to jump in. It all sounds very odd.
    I have only found 1 mention of her child, described as "her child"and not "their child".

Oddly, another man was tried and executed at the same time as him - Ambrose Quinn for the murder of his wife Ann.

Hiya Lesley I read all that also I’ve printed allm yeh newspapers out to show my Granda , the Lawrence bit has baffled me aswell this man is a mystery but I have to say i really like him how he’s giving me this challenge ! Lol I need to know who his mother is it’s drivif me nuts , all his letters were handed down to Annie my grandads grandma then to Annie’s daughter to my Granda ... so obviously he’s Annie’s brother but adopted ... but in them days a lot of ppl would have kids out of wedlock and let there mothers bring them up so I’m just wondering if one of the scott children is his mam or dad and the Grandma Isabella said shel bring him up

1911 census for New Delaval, Newsham, Northumberland

Rebecca Jane Quinn aged 17, born New Delaval.
    Parents Patrick (54, Chorley, miner) & Elizabeth Quinn (51, Alnwick)
    2 brothers (Patrick & John George), 1 sister (Margaret)

There is a thread on Facebook Capital Punishment UK and this is part of one article
    Ernest Bernard Scott and Ambrose Quinn.

"On Wednesday the 26th of November 1919, two men would be hanged at Newcastle by John Ellis. There were several strange coincidences. Both were 28 years old and had cut the throat of a their woman, one had the surname of Quinn, the other’s victim also had that surname. Both men had been condemned by the same judge on successive days. Both victims were 25 years old.

Scott was in a relationship with Rebecca Jane Quinn who had a small child by a different father. The romance lasted just three weeks."
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The birth cert for the Ernest in #6 would be interesting....

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I cannot see a birth reg detail in #6

I have found this, however there isn't a MMN
    SCOTT, ERNEST -
    GRO Reference: 1891 S Quarter in MORPETH Volume 10B Page 403

This one can be found in Australia

SCOTT, ERNEST RONALD SCOTT
    GRO Reference: 1892 J Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE Volume 10B Page 167

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    The birth cert for the Ernest in #6 would be interesting....
    I agree, Lesley.

The details are: SCOTT, ERNEST -

There's no mother's maiden name entered which usually indicates an illegitimate birth.

It could be worthwhile to order the certificate, which, if the right one will name Ernest's mother's name.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I agree, Lesley.

There's no mother's maiden name entered which usually indicates an illegitimate birth.

It could be worthwhile to order the certificate, which, if the right one will name Ernest's mother's name.

I can’t thank yous eneough for this , amazing ! How do I order a birth certificate for him ?

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I agree, Lesley.

How would I go about ordering his birth certificate? I would to know x

Quote Originally Posted by vixtoria View Post
    I can’t thank yous eneough for this , amazing ! How do I order a birth certificate for him ?
    Hi Victoria, you can order from https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

You will need to first register with them, you can order (using the info already given to you) either a copy certificate £9.25 or pdf £6.00

Please be aware I cannot be certain it's the correct certificate for 'your' Ernest but it does look the most likely.

Good luck, and do let us know the outcome.
    Alma

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast