Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hi from South Africa

Hi everyone. I have just taken a interest in searching my family history. I found out that my ggg-grandfather was a orphan who was sent to South Africa as a "slave or house boy" (Children's friend society) between 1838-1841. Finding information before that is very trying and I am hoping that there might be people out there or information on here to help fill in the gaps.
    Robert Hurn born 1 May 1827, Dursley, Gloucestershire, England

Hallo Lee, and a warm welcome to British Genealogy. I have moved your post to the Gloucestershire Forum as it is really a research request. Funnily enough I was in Dursley a couple of days ago, as part of my project to photograph places of origin of the 1820 settlers to the Cape for the upcoming bicentennial.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

I have a copy of Esme Bull's book "Aided Immigration from Britain to South Africa" and Annexure 2 lists those sent by the Children's Friend Society. It lists:
    HERNE, Sarah Ann. Arr. 1839, mother in England, app. Willem du Toit, de Hoop, Swartland.
    HERNE, ?: Brother to Sarah Herne (Edna Bradlow)
    Sue Mackay

Have you got a copy of his death notice? NAAIRS says it is dated 1895 at ref 2780, but I cannot seem to find it with this reference on the Family Search site. If you can find it with any luck it will tell you who his parents were. There is a public tree on Ancestry that says he was the son of Giles Hurn and Charlotte Bloodworth, but this would need careful checking as these trees are often wrong.
    Sue Mackay

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Have you got a copy of his death notice? NAAIRS says it is dated 1895 at ref 2780, but I cannot seem to find it with this reference on the Family Search site. If you can find it with any luck it will tell you who his parents were. There is a public tree on Ancestry that says he was the son of Giles Hurn and Charlotte Bloodworth, but this would need careful checking as these trees are often wrong.
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I have no paperwork at all. Just decided it was time to start looking

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have a copy of Esme Bull's book "Aided Immigration from Britain to South Africa" and Annexure 2 lists those sent by the Children's Friend Society. It lists:
    HERNE, Sarah Ann. Arr. 1839, mother in England, app. Willem du Toit, de Hoop, Swartland.
    HERNE, ?: Brother to Sarah Herne (Edna Bradlow)
    This could be it as he named a daughter Sarah Ann as well. Apparently Robert and his sister were brought over. I do not know why they would have changed the surname between Herne and Hurn? Do you perhaps have any pdf format information? I have looked through several sites, but if you dont pay you dont get lol - and if you know anything about the South African rand, this aint going to happen LOL

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

As far as I have it, Robert Hurn died 13/11/1895. Mmmmm I am looking at a spreadsheet that my Mother made. Robert Hurn was married to a Jane Sansom. LOL they had many kids. Names that stick out of some of the children are Sarah Ann, Robert Giles and Charlotte. So it must be their parents as you mentioned. Now I would like to go further. Why did they allow two of their children to come to a country without them. What were the circumstances etc. Oh hell I can see this is going to be a riddle of note

Don't worry too much about spelling. In those days many were illiterate, and clerks just wrote down names as they heard them. IF the parentage of Giles and Charlotte is correct, then there is a marriage for a Giles HIRON to Charlotte BLOODWORTH in Uley (very close to Dursley) on 9 May 1814. Giles signed with a X which means he was illiterate.

There is then a baptism in the records for Dursley Tabernacle (Independent)
    Sarah daughter of Giles and Charlotte HURN of the parish of Uley in the County of Gloucester was born Oct 25 1817 and baptised March 15 1818.

Could this be his sister? Do you know how old she was and what happened to her at the Cape?

ETA: I see you posted again while I was typing. It certainly does seem likely that Giles and Charlotte were the parents. I just wish I knew why I can't find that death notice. Perhaps you can have a scroll through
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/...tory%20Library
    and see if I've missed something obvious!
    Sue Mackay

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Don't worry too much about spelling. In those days many were illiterate, and clerks just wrote down names as they heard them. IF the parentage of Giles and Charlotte is correct, then there is a marriage for a Giles HIRON to Charlotte BLOODWORTH in Uley (very close to Dursley) on 9 May 1814. Giles signed with a X which means he was illiterate.

There is then a baptism in the records for Dursley Tabernacle (Independent)
    Sarah daughter of Giles and Charlotte HURN of the parish of Uley in the County of Gloucester was born Oct 25 1817 and baptised March 15 1818.

Could this be his sister? Do you know how old she was and what happened to her at the Cape?

ETA: I see you posted again while I was typing. It certainly does seem likely that Giles and Charlotte were the parents. I just wish I knew why I can't find that death notice. Perhaps you can have a scroll through
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/...tory%20Library
    and see if I've missed something obvious!
    Okay I just spoke to my Mom, she confirms that the information you gave is right. Roberts parents were Giles and Charlotte YAY My Mom said that Sarah Ann was a house maid (dont know what terminology they used for this "position" for a family.
    When you say Giles marked with an X, do you have pictures of this? (any written/photographic documentation?)
    How does one go further back? Would there be records as to why the parents allowed their children to be shipped off, never to be seen again? WOW I am really glad I got on to this forum and that you are here! I would like to say thank you for responding to me Sue. It's wonderful to get help so quick

If this is the family you're researching it seems Robert must have sailed to SA after this 1841 census was taken, which from memory was June.

1841, Uley. HO107; Piece: 348; Book: 8; Folio: 21; Page: 16
    Charlotte Hurn 56
    Thomas Hurn 21
    Robert Hurn 15
    Giles Hurn 5

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7MQ-6VK

1851, Uley, all born Uley. HO107; Piece: 1958; Folio: 312; Page: 1;
    Charlotte Hurn 65, widow, pauper
    William Hurn 28, son, labourer
    Giles Hurn 16, son, labourer

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGBW-NVQ
    Alma