Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help please

Default Help please

I am searching for information on my Grandfather W G Curwood and have his WW1 medals with the number round the edge of 7048. Lond R. However the records come up with a WG Curwood with the Service number 633699. The regiment xseems to be the same. Is there any way one can match the two numbers or feed the medal mumbers in to the search?

Many thanks

Ian

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian William View Post
    I am searching for information on my Grandfather W G Curwood and have his WW1 medals with the number round the edge of 7048. Lond R. However the records come up with a WG Curwood with the Service number 633699. The regiment xseems to be the same. Is there any way one can match the two numbers or feed the medal mumbers in to the search?

Many thanks

Ian

Yes their numbers did change as regiments (etc) were merged or if men were transferred

I can only find William G Curwood with the numbers 7048 and 210725.

Putting 633699 in the 'keyword' field as exact on Ancestry gave no returns.

Cheers, MTS
    Last edited by Neil Wilson; 18-03-2018 at 2:59 PM. Reason: image deleted - reason copyright

Reputation beyond repute

the records come up with a WG Curwood with the Service number 633699
    What records?

I can see
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D2055073

633699 would seem to refer to the renumbering of the 20th battalion, London Regiment

The Long Long Trail lists the following series:

630001 650000 20 London Regt

Hi MTS,

Many thanks for your kind help.

Regards

Ian

Famous for offering help & advice

WG Curwood 633699 London Regiment was reported on the war office casualty list published 24 Jan 1918. Home Town/Place of Enlistment given as Bethnal Green, E.

Many thanks for your reply>
    I simply typed his details (W G Curwood) into the only fields supplied by Forces War Records, and someone came up with Service Number 633699, but fitting my grandfather quite well, (age and battalion: 20th County of London Battalion, Blackheath): the records seemed to be medical. Presumably, despite the different service number this man could still be my grandfather if numbers were changed?

Ian

Thanks very much for your reply. Presumably these casualties are dead, not just injured? My Grandfather survived the war and had no serious injuries I'm aware of.

Ian

Famous for offering help & advice

These casualties are wounded only, and the lists were usually published some weeks after the actual event.

The 6-digit number is within the re-numbering that took place in 1917, but he will have enlisted as 7048.

Many thanks. A source on Ancestry says my Grandfather transferred to the Queens Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment, so I still can't tell if No 633699 is him.

Regards

Ian

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    As you came to us from Forces War records reading this will tell you about our connection.
    ancestry.com and Findmypast are the companies licensed to hold and make available online WW1 service records.
    As you rightly said the record on FWR is a hospital record where 29 year old W G Curwood was in hospital with tonsillitis for 5 days.
    So the age fits that of your grandfather birth registered March 1/4 1888 registration district St Olave.
    His entry on the UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 on ancestry
    William George Curwood
    Rank - Lance Corporal
    Medals Awarded - British War Medal and Victory Medal
    Regiment -Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment
    Regimental number 210725
    Sub Unit - 1/4th Battalion
    Previous units - 1/20. Lon. R. 7048. Pte

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast