Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K H Connolly RN

Starting to feel at home

Default K H Connolly RN

1939 Register gives occupation as 'Ldg 3 Ba R Navy Off No Mx 46483' however I believe the original looks more like S.B.A rather than 3 Ba. An indication of what this might mean would be good. As I'm not a direct relative I realise that further information won't be available.

Help appreciated. Cheers

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

From here - https://www.naval-history.net/WW2aaRN...nks-Badges.htm

Leading Sick Berth Attendant
    seems to fit

regards
    Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello
    very interesting topic about K.H. Connolly. Not a long ago I have acquired a Long Service and Good Conduct Navy Medal inscribed: MX46483 K.H. CONNOLLY S.B.P.O. H.M.S. EXCELLENT II. I am very sure it belonged to the same person, a Sick Berth Petty Officer from the Royal Navy "stone frigate" on Whale Island near Portsmouth.
    What other data are known about him? I would appreciate to find out more about the man behind the award
    All the best
    Sever

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Sever
    The UK, Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972 on ancestry says the medal number is 4918 and was issued on 10 October 1942 and presented on 10 November 1942. The MX46483 is the official number and on the original image has a D in front like so D/MX46483

Still looking for any other possible information but only having his initials makes it more difficult.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Searching on FreeBMD for a birth for a K Connolly and hoping for not too many with H as the second initial and also only between the dates 1880 to 1930 there is only one result and that is for a Kenneth Henry Connolly birth registered June 1/4 1909 registration district Bristol, Gloucestershire.
    A baptism
    Kenneth Henry Connolly
    Baptised 4 July 1909
    At Easton, St Mark, Gloucestershire, England
    Register Type: Parish Register
    Father - Henry Charles Connolly
    Mother - Ethel Connolly

UK, Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services, 1848-1939
    Kenneth Henry Connolly
    Birth Date 14 April 1909
    Birth Place Bristol, Gloucestershire
    First Service Date - 2 Aug 1927
    First Ship Served On Vivid II
    Last Service Date 13 Sep 1928
    Last Ship Served On Vivid II (Plymouth Hosp.)
    Service Number MX 46483

Christina
    William Burroughs

The original image for the above service record is on ancestry and gives personal details such as height, hair colour and his character - very good.
    Hiis occupation is Clerk previous to signing up.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

here he is in the 1911 census with his family
    Piece: 15057
    3 Ralph Road, Ashley Down Rd, Bristol
    Henry Charles Connolly 27 Sorting clerk and telegraphist at the General Post Office. Born Portsmouth
    Ethel Connolly 25 born Coomb Down, Bath
    Kenneth Henry Connolly 2 born Bristol
    Patricia Ethel Connolly 8 months born Bristol

His death is registered 1984 Hammersmith registration district It is on FreeBMD which you can see for yourself. It is a free site.
    There is a a marriage in Portsmouth in the 1934 to an Ivy A Avery and she died in the March 1/44 1939 There is the possible birth of a daughter in the Sept 1/4 1938
    There is a possible second marriage in the June 1/4 1939 Poersmouth registration district which seems rather quick after the death of his first wife so is it him? There are numerous marriages after 1939 for Kenneth H Connollys.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Hi Sever & Christina
    Kenneth, known to me as 'Ginger', was the married to an aunt of my wife, both now deceased. I was introduced the once, about 1966, at their flat in Acton, London and while he got mentioned by his wife on occasion, I have no knowledge of his background, his work or his past family, my sense being that that was all very much in the past, a source of some difficulty somehow and not talked about. Not knowing his age I guess I thought him to be retired but he could have been incapacitated in some way, or not!. I was vaguely aware of a daughter, Patricia A (1938 -), mother Ivy Alexandra Avery 1912-1939, possibly sharing the same middle name.

By Kenneth's second marriage to Edna May Hewish (1910 -)there appears to be a son, William R Connolly (1944 -). Certainly this marriage followed very soon after Ivy's death - was that a cause of difficulty?

His last marriage Mar 1952, Kensington, London - no idea if there were others in between, was to Enid Davies (1920-2002), there were no children.

I have not attempted to trace either of his children.

While the above is as nothing, Kenneth is on my database for those who may come after. To that end it would be greatly appreciated if you are able to PM me an image of the medal for the record. I remain puzzled about the gap between his Navy record - only 1927-28 - and the medal award in 1942.

Sorry no real news

Richard

This is almost certainly Kenneth Henry, given the address where the incident occurred

Western Daily Press, 17 Nov 1919
    WINDOW CLEANER'S THEFT - Outwitted By A Smart Boy

This is a report of a Court case where a " ... Kenneth Connolly, a smart little boy ..." witnessed the theft of a £1 note from a handbag in Ashley Down Road. He had gone home and told his mother who returned with him to the scene of the crime where the offender, a window cleaner, was still working. At the conclusion of the case "... The Bench recalled the boy Connolly and complimented him on his excellent conduct and the smart way he had given his evidence".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

That's a nice find, the more so in these challenging time

Thanks helachau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast