Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Alma thank you. Now just trying to digest all this and put it in to context of the family. Would be great if these were the Pearson and Walker families I am looking for. All seems to hinge on the 1843 marriage.

Many thanks for your help with this. Will post progress in due course. Brian

Starting to feel at home

Just a quick update? Peregrine still proving to be a bit of an enigma. Can only find reference to 2 marriages Hannah West 1803 in Sculcoates and Dinah Ramsden in Leeds 1812. Also his death in Sculcoates in 1838.

He is on the birth\baptism records of each of his 4 children William born 12 April 1818 and baptised 27 May 1822, Charles Ramsden born 26 March 1824, and baptised 10 Oct 1824, Mary Ann born 22 May 1829 baptised 8 Nov 1836 and Maria born 1833.

The records from Sculcoates seem to fit Peregrine as the 15th regiment of foot mentioned on his marriage details to Dinah is an East Yorkshire Regiment.

Possible both marriages are the one and same Peregrine, there is a record for a Hannah Pearson, died Drypool\sculcoates in 1810 with the added inscription Perrey Pearson on the ledger.

Brian

Starting to feel at home

Just a bit more and wondering if this would now be better placed in the Yorkshire forum?

I have found, but with no supporting evidence on familysearch Peregrine christened 5 November 1775 in Northallerton North Yorkshire. His parents are given as Robert Pearson born 1748 in Yorkshire and Ann born 1752 in Yorkshire. There is a possibility of a number of siblings for Peregrine; Ann born 1772 died 1774, Mary christened 1778, Robert christened 1770 and a second Ann christened 1781 all in Northallerton or Brompton by Northallerton.

There are a number of Pearson families around and it would be easy to get the wrong line. As there seems to be only one Peregrine in existence in Yorkshire around the relevant dates seems the available information all refers to the same person. Any further pointers much appreciated. Thank you Brian

Just a bit more and wondering if this would now be better placed in the Yorkshire forum?
    I'll move your thread to Yorkshire, you are quite right it's probably the best forum for it.
    Alma

There is a little snippet in 'York Herald 22 July 1809' which mentions Peregrine and also a James Bradshaw Pierson/Pearson and the place name Stokesley. The print is unclear and my weary eyes cannot transcribe the copy I've looked at. You may be able to read a copy at your local library, most public libraries have access to online newspapers.

And a very interesting article here 'Bristol Times and Mirror 11 December 1852'

Family Search has the certificate of James Bradshaw Pierson's (note spelling) marriage.
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...=68&cc=1769414

And Ancestry has: James Bradshaw Bradshaw (could be the son of the above)
    [James Bradshaw Peirson]
    Record Type: Burial
    Birth Date: abt 1768
    Burial Date: 26 Jul 1798
    Burial Place: St Pancras Parish Chapel, Camden, England
    Alma

There's also this marriage, the original record on Ancestry says he was from Stokesley. Either there's two JBP or, the first wife Mary died soon after their marriage.

Name: James Bradshaw Peirson
    Marriage Date: 2 Jul 1769
    Marriage Place: St Andrew Holborn, City of London, England
    Spouse: Maria Teresea Giacomazzi Rescala

Also a record in this collection (I'm assuming you have access to Ancestry)
    James Bradshaw Pierson Esq
    in the Surrey, England, Jury-Qualified Freeholders and Copyholders, 1696-1824
    Alma

I'm unsure how relevant the info on James Bradshaw Pierson is, I thought it worth a mention as the name is mentioned in the newspaper article along with Peregrine.

Courtesy of Ancestry's " Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900"
    Name: [James ] Bradshaw . Pierson
    College: PETERHOUSE
    Entered: Michs. 1761
    More Information: Adm. Fell.-Com. (age 20) at PETERHOUSE, Feb. 9, 1761. [S. of Victor Repinder (an Italian, who took the name of Pierson). B. in Italy, Oct. 8, 1741.] School, Beverley. Matric. Michs. 1761. Adm. at Lincoln's Inn, Feb. 2, 1762. A celebrated character in fashionable and sporting circles in the reign of George III. Nancy Dawson, dancer in ‘The Beggar's Opera,’ was for sometime his mistress. (P. B. G. Binnall; T. A. Walker, 321; G. Mag., 1828, 98, Pt I; Ord, Cleveland, 397.)
    Alma

Ancestry has a copy of the will of JBP the younger's will.

' in the England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858'
    Name: James Bradshaw Peirson Esquire
    Probate Date: 6 Dec 1799
    Residence: Gauxhall, Surrey, England
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for the above. I have now found a record of Peregrine’s baptism on ancestry for 5 November 1775 in Northallerton. His parents are Robert and Ann Pearson.

There is a marriage on 16 May 1769 in Brompton between Robert Pearson of Brompton, born 1745 and Ann Dennison of Romanby born 1747. Witnesses at the marriage are John Dennison, John Pearson, Edward Pearson, Robert Dennison but no specification as to what relative.

I will chase up the information you have provided when I get the sleep out of my eyes, cheers Brian

Starting to feel at home

Trying to trace family back to Brompton by Northallerton. What I have so far.

I am trying to trace the family line of William Pearson born 12 April 1818 in Leeds and baptised 27 May 1822 at St Peter’s Parish Church in Leeds. William’s parents were Peregrine and Dinah Pearson. Several marriages and baptisms seem to have taken place in both Brompton and Northallerton.

I can find very little information on Peregrine Pearson. His parents were Robert and Ann Pearson (nee Dennison) and he was baptized on 5 November 1775 in Northallerton. He possibly has 4 siblings, Robert christened 9 March 1770, Ann christened 21 June 1772 (died an infant), Mary christened 11 January 1778 and Ann christened 1781.

The only other information I can find on Peregrin is that of 2 marriages; first marriage was to Hannah West on 2 July 1803 in Sculcoates, East Yorkshire. Hannah died 10 August 1810 in Drypool, Sculcoates, Hull, her death record is annotate wife of Perrey Pearson. Second marriage to Dinah Ramsden on 10 October 1812 at St Peter Leeds, at this time he was a private in the 15th regiment of foot, East Yorkshire Regiment. Peregrine and Dinah had four children, William born 12 April 1818 and baptised 27 May 1822, Charles Ramsden born 26 March 1824, and baptised 10 Oct 1824, Mary Ann born 22 May 1829 baptised 8 Nov 1836 and Maria born 1833.

Peregrine was buried 6 December 1838 at All Saints Sculcoats. The death record shows his address as the workhouse at the time of his death.

I am not sure if this Peregrine Pearson is one person or several but with only one birth and one death record and the 2 marriages linked with the death of the first wife it seems possible we have just one person.

The marriage of his father Robert to Ann Dennison was on 16 May 1769 in Brompton by Northallerton. At the time of the marriage Robert was living in Brompton and Ann in Romanby. Witnesses to the marriage were John Dennison, John Pearson, Edward Pearson and Robert Dennison. Robert was a joiner.

Robert’s father was I believe Robert Pearson married to Bridgett Tewitt in Brompton in 1732

Any pointers on the family, why they may have moved from the Brompton area etc would be much appreciated.

Brian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast