Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Mary Ann Ramshaw/Pattison/Peat b.1837 B/Wall

I’ve been stuck at this brickwall for 13 years. Any help, hints or new perspective will be much appreciated.

My 2nd GGF William Peat b.1836 Bolton Low, Cumberland married Mary Ann Ramshaw on 09 Jun 1862 at the registry office Sunderland, Durham. I bought the certificate from GRO 13 years ago but I’m no further with Mary Ann’s birth details or parents.

I have the details of William’s first marriage to Ann Smiles and making good progress with his ancestors. It’s only Mary Ann that I’m stuck with.

Mary Ann was born around 1837 (possibly just prior to civil registration) in Houghton-Le-Spring, Durham. I have her death as Q3 1901 Sunderland, Durham. I have found her in all census records from 1851 through to 1901… any thoughts on 1841 welcome.

I have no details of her first marriage and I’m not even sure what her surname was at birth. The marriage cert I have has her recorded as being a widow so this is at least her second marriage possibly more. Her name is Ramshaw but her father is listed as John Pattison, coal miner.

At first it looks like birth name Pattison, first marriage to Ramshaw, second marriage to William Peat but I cannot find record of this first marriage or of a likely Ramshaw death leading up to her marriage with William… any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Steve

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is this birth record on GRO as follows:

PATTERSON Mary Ann 1837 D Quarter Houghton le Spring Union, Vol 24 Page 105. Mother's maiden name BATES.

Peter

A Thomas PATERSON m. Anne BATES 28th May 1832 at Pittington, Durham. Q4 Vol 24 Page 105.

Pittington is just a couple of miles south of Houghton le Spring.

Peter

Mary Ann's children seem to be registered with Mother's maiden name as RAMSHAW, for example

PEAT, SARAH JANE RAMSHAW
    GRO Reference: 1867 J Quarter in SUNDERLAND Volume 10A Page 540

PEAT, MARGARET REMSHAW [sic]
    GRO Reference: 1870 S Quarter in HARTLEPOOL Volume 10A Page 156
    Alma

From Family Search. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N58C-661

Name: Mary Ann Ramshaw
    Christening Date: 17 Sep 1836
    Christening Date (Original): 17 SEP 1836
    Christening Place: Houghton le Spring, Durham, England
    Father's Name: John Ramshaw
    Mother's Name: Sarah Ramshaw
    Alma

These baptisms also took place at Houghton le Spring, parents John and Sarah Ramshaw

Margaret 16 Jun 1834; Jane 6 Aug 1832; Martha 3 Feb 1831
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for the suggestion elsinore but Mary Ann's father is listed as being John Pattison on the marriage cert. Pattison and Paterson/Patterson are common variants but if Mary Ann was called Pattison/Parterson I'm looking for her father to be John.

Cheers

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 5tephen View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion elsinore but Mary Ann's father is listed as being John Pattison on the marriage cert. Pattison and Paterson/Patterson are common variants but if Mary Ann was called Pattison/Parterson I'm looking for her father to be John.

Cheers

Steve
    Indeed, Steve, but it was the only possible match if Mary Ann had married before. Marriage certificates have been known to be incorrect.

Having said that, almach's finds should put you on the right road.

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks almach. Mary Ann Ramshaw c.17 Sep 1836 does seem like a good fit. In addition to two of her daughters naming their daughters Mary Ann Ramshaw Donkin/Mordey she also had another daughter with William - Martha Ramshaw Peat. This name is all too popular with her family for it to have originated from a married name. It does fit better with the birth name. Any thought on why her father could be John Pattison on the marriage cert.?

I'll try to track this Mary Ann Ramshaw to see if she exists somewhere other than with William in 1862. I made a mistake in the initial post - I'm actually missing census records for 1841, 1851 and 1861.

Many thanks

Steve

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    From Family Search. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N58C-661

Name: Mary Ann Ramshaw
    Christening Date: 17 Sep 1836
    Christening Date (Original): 17 SEP 1836
    Christening Place: Houghton le Spring, Durham, England
    Father's Name: John Ramshaw
    Mother's Name: Sarah Ramshaw
    Just realised I have explored this Mary Ann Ramshaw in the past. I have her in 1841, 1851 and 1861 census. Her monther was Sarah Humble and she married John Patterson in 1857.

I don't have a record of why I abandoned this line of thought. Perhaps I found her in later census records. I'll follow it through again and make a decent record of why I discounted it in case I go back again in another few years!

I really have been going around in circles with this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast