Thread: New Map Site

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default New Map Site

The Royal Commission on the Ancient & Historical Monuments of Wales have just launched a new on-line free to use map site:

https://historicplacenames.rcahmw.gov.uk/

To quote the site "The List of Historic Place Names of Wales is a groundbreaking and innovative resource that contains hundreds of thousands of place names collected from historical maps and other sources. It provides a fascinating insight into the land-use, archaeology and history of Wales."

Essentially you search for a particular place - say Llangefni in Anglesey, and then once you select the map, scroll down and you select a street, or even a property if know the name.

I suspect that it may have some glitches, or maybe I do - because I can see my parents home on the map, and I can find listed on the site all the adjacent properties, and even though the map has the name of my parents property on it, it does not come up in the listings. But that said, I think it is a potentially a very useful tool.

Thank you for this Megan. It is now a 'sticky' at the top of the General Welsh Family History forum.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Many thanks for a wonderful resource; the zoom and flicking between modern and historical maps is a huge convenience.