Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Slightly off the topic of Thomas Nelson Berry, but are you familiar with the site Wigan World? It has helped me with my Wigan ancestry.

For instance: Samuel Nelson Berry's father, John Thomas Berry, is in the Ince cemetery index, buried in the same grave as other Berry's.

https://www.
    wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/index.php
    Alma

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Slightly off the topic of Thomas Nelson Berry, but are you familiar with the site Wigan World? It has helped me with my Wigan ancestry.

For instance: Samuel Nelson Berry's father, John Thomas Berry, is in the Ince cemetery index, buried in the same grave as other Berry's.

https://www.
    wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/index.php
    Thanks Alma, I'm very familiar with WW. I used it quite extensively in the early days of my research and the other researchers were extremely helpful to someone who had never visited the town despite my father and his parents being born there. I still go back to the site, particularly the Cemetery Indexes and Directories, when I'm looking for other members of the clan.

I also visited Wigan several times on my tour of Britain to try and get a feeling for where the family lived and to visit the Museum of Life Records Office.

A fountain of knowledge

My use of WW also declined as I got familiar with the sites the people helping were using.
    In Particular https://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/ and https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

I still use both regularly. They are permanently on my Bookmarks toolbar.

There are a number of newspaper items under "Thomas N Berry" at British Newspaper Archive or FindMyPast. From the Ballymena Weekly Telegraph, 28 March 1947 " .... his 'plane crashed, during a dense fog, a short distance from Douglas, Isle of Man, ..."
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    There are a number of newspaper items under "Thomas N Berry" at British Newspaper Archive or FindMyPast. From the Ballymena Weekly Telegraph, 28 March 1947 " .... his 'plane crashed, during a dense fog, a short distance from Douglas, Isle of Man, ..."
    Other people might have been able to have found such entries had they not restricted their search to Lancashire newspapers.
    Especially as Hyde is historically in Cheshire.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Other people might have been able to have found such entries had they not restricted their search to Lancashire newspapers.
    Especially as Hyde is historically in Cheshire.

Pam
    A useful reminder of the vagaries of government reorganisation playing havoc with boundaries and our research criteria.
    Technically Wigan is no longer in Lancashire but is now part of Greater Manchester, the same as Hyde and the surrounding part of Cheshire. But try telling the locals that, there are some who argue about Ince and Hindley et al being part of Wigan.
    Blackpool is also not in Lancashire anymore but in Fylde, the locals don't believe that either.

The Ballymena paper carried several items. Noel Berry, nee M'Kane, had married Thomas in June 1946 and her parents resided Ballymena. She was living on the IoM at time of crash.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The Ballymena paper carried several items. Noel Berry, nee M'Kane, had married Thomas in June 1946 and her parents resided Ballymena. She was living on the IoM at time of crash.
    Thank you helechau. I did wonder when I saw your earlier post why it was being reported in the Ballymena press.
    I was struggling to find her maiden name and a marriage, I had found one in Greenwich for Thomas N Berry but the bride had totally different forenames.
    I take it they married in Ireland or was it it IoM?

A fountain of knowledge

The clippings I received from the museum give their address as 76 Waterloo Rd., Ramsey.
    Noel later remarried in Gosport, Hants.

Added:- Just tried to search for marriage on ManxBMD unfortunately Marriage index is unavailable due to revisions being done.

#28. The location of a newspaper report doesn’t tell much. Depending on how much local news they had, they would pick up reports from all over the country and use them to fill space.
    I’ve just been following a fairly minor trial, and some reports appeared in 6 or more papers from Carlisle to Cornwall, while others were only in one or two. The trouble is that how much was reprinted depended on available space and what was included was up to the relevant editor...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast