Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Shot

Default Long Shot

Hello everyone, I know this a long shot, but I've seen how helpful people have been to those searching for a way to start, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Via ancestry DNA I've discovered I am related to some people from South Africa (I'm from UK). I, as far as I knew, am white, and they are mixed race (I mention this as they tell me that records of mixed race and 'black' people are few and far between in South Africa). Anyway, we don't know how we are related, and we were wondering whether someone on my mother's father's side (as she is also apparently related to them but my aunt on her mother's side is not) was in the Boer War. Nobody in the family knows much about their history. I do know my mum's dad's name was Lawes and his family were from Chester-Le-Street in County Durham. My grandad would not be old enough so he wasn't in the Boer War, but perhaps a generation back from him. His mother's name was Watson. Some of the family worked in the mines (I'm wondering if that might be a possible connection to South Africa too) and I think some werein a colliery band or the Salvation Army band. I don't know much more.

Does anyone have any tips on how I start to searching and get some definitive answers to this little family mystery?

Many thanks in advance.

PS: re the DNA test, the chances of being related to the people from South Africa are virtually 100%, and the relationship is 2nd-3rd cousin type.

Could this marriage be your ancestors?

Jan - Mar 1928, Chester le Street. Frederick W Lawes/Rhoda Watson
    Alma

This is the above Frederick in 1911

24 Pine Street Grange Villa Durham. (registration district Chester le Street) RG14; Piece: 30103
    Frederick William Lawes 43, coal miner hewer, born Whitchurch Hants
    Susan Lawes 49, married 20yrs, 4 children born alive, 3 still living, Birstall, Yorks
    Martha Lawes 12, Filling on Tyne, Durham
    Frederick William Lawes 8, Newburn on Tyne, Northumberland
    John William Verity 38, boarder.
    Alma

1901, 8, Bedford St, Morley, Yorks. RG13; Piece: 4254; Folio: 118; Page: 37
    Frederick W Lawes 33, coal miner hewer, Whitchurch
    Susan Lawes 39, Birstall
    Emily Lawes 6, South Shields Durham
    Martha Lawes 2, Gateshead
    Ayra Bedford 22, sister in law, Gildersome, Yorks
    Lily Bedford 22, step daughter, Sturton, Yorks

Marriage, Parish Church Batley, Aug 31st 1890
    Frederick William Lawes, 22, bachelor, collier, father James Lawes (dead) miner
    Susan Verity, 28, widow, weaver, father John Peppaday?, miner
    witnesses: Charles Liversedge, Mary Ann Verity
    Alma

Hi,yes that will be your great grandparents

I don't know why Susan's father is entered as John Peppaday on her marriage to Frederick, as it would seem he was her first husband!

Susan Verity/John Pepperday, married Jan - Mar qrt 1878, Hunslet, 9b 357

1881, 14 Perseverance St, Hunslet, yorks. RG11; Piece: 4494; Folio: 107; Page: 25;
    John Pepperday 23, coal miner, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Susan Pepperday 20, Birstall
    Lilly Pepperday 2, Stourton

1891,5, Appleby St Morley. RG12; Piece: 3716; Folio: 82; Page: 12
    Martha Verity 56, widow, Preston
    William Verity 18, colliery labourer, East Hardwick
    Maryann Verity 16, woollen weaver, Featherstone
    Fredrick W Lawes 23, son in law, coal miner, Whitchurch
    Susan Lawes 29, dau in law? Birstall
    Lillie Peperday 13, grand dau, Stourton, Leeds

Baptisms Oct 1st 1876, parents John and Martha Verity
    Arthur Verity born June 25th 1850
    Susan Verity, born Feb 3rd 1862
    Sarah Jane Verity, Sept 28th 1863
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by mandyc67 View Post
    Hi,yes that will be your great grandparents
    Did you mean to write MY grandparents?

To find a possible connection to the Boer war will mean tracing back, and researching all male ancestors of the right age.
    Alma

Back to James Lawes.

1881, 21 Northgate, Guisbrough, Yorks. RG11; Piece: 4844; Folio: 104; Page: 2
    William John Poulter 29, lab. gen. Yorks
    Emily Poulter 32, Portsmouth Hants
    Frederick W. Lawes 13, son, Whitchurch
    Samuel J. Lawes 10, son, Whitchurch
    Mary A. Lawes 8, dau, Yorks (can't read place name)
    Thomas H. Lawes 4 (can't read place name)
    George A. Poulter 2 months, Guisbrough

1871, Wood St, Whitchurch. RG10; Piece: 1238; Folio: 82; Page: 5
    James Lawes 31, ag. lab, Whitchurch
    Emily Lawes 22, Portsmouth
    Frederick Lawes 3, Whitchurch
    Samuel Lawes 8 Months, Witchurch

Marriages Sep 1880, William John Poulter/Emily Lawes, Guisborough, vol 9d, page 635

I haven't found a death for James Lawes yet, but haven't looked under possible alternative spellings.
    Alma

John William Verity on 1911 census age 38 with Frederick W. Lawes and Susan (nee Verity), and entered as William Verity age 18 on 1891 census with his mother Martha. He may have served in South Africa, the service record is on Find my Past who don't allow their records to be published online. You can buy a few pay as you go credits to view the record, or see if your local library has Find my Past, many public libraries do, alternatively take out a free trial with them, if you do take the free trial you'll need to give bank card details and remember to cancel your membership before the free trial is up, or you'll be charged.

ETA: I can't be certain the John William Verity whose service records are on Find my Past is 'your' ancestor. I'll do more digging around to see if another JWV about the same age can be found on censuses.
    Alma

Three John William Verity's births were registered in Hunslet in years 1881, 1884, 1886.

ETA: After digging around I'm certain the JWV whose service records are on FMP is not your ancestor, sorry. Back to the drawing board.

Rhoda Watson's ancestors need to be traced to see if one of them served in South Africa.
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast