Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    I'd like to find census returns for Gertrude from birth onwards ie she should be in the 1881 but I'm not a member of Ancestry.I heve the 1911 when she is working in Newport.
    Great stuff Jill!

I did the following a week ago but thought it would be better to wait for your response:

Henry HUNT m. Sophia Letitia PRICE 1874 Gloucester Q1 6A 429

Gertrude Eliza HUNT b. 1880 Monmouth Q3 11A 38 mmn PRICE

Gertrude Eliza HUNT baptised 7th November 1880, Monmouth St Mary. Father, Henry, gardener. Mother, Sophia Letitia. Address: Knowle Lodge, Monmouth.

1881 Census at Church Farm, Llanfihangel Tor-y-Mynydd, Usk
    Henry HUNT 31 Farmer 20 acres. Tidenham, Glos.
    Sophia 33 Tidenham
    Mary 7 Tidenham
    Sophia 5 Monmouth
    John 3 Monmouth
    Gertrude 9mo Monmouth

1891 Census at Rydding Farm, Dances Road, Chapel hill, Chepstow
    Henry 41 Farmer
    Sophia Lititia 43
    Sophia Lititia 15
    John 13
    Gertrude 10
    Lily Beatrice 9 Trelleck Grange, Chepstow
    Amy Sarah 2 Trelleck Grange, Chepstow

1901 Census as above except young Sophia who is a barmaid in the Bridgend Hotel, Pontypridd.

1911 Census at Reddings Farm
    Henry 61 Farmer
    Sophia 63
    John 33
    Lily 29
    Amy 22

1911 Census at 7 Clytha Crescent, Newport.
    Gertrude Eliza HUNT, boarder, single, 30, bar attendant. Born Monmouth, Mon.

Peter

A fountain of knowledge

ELSINORE

Dear Peter

As always, I'm incredibly grateful to you for your further help, this time with census returns for Gertrude which is wonderful input.

One point it answers is that Gertrude's Probate is to "Lilian Beatrice Hansford - married woman". I have wondered if that might be a sister and indeed I imagine she is "Lily Beatrice 9 Trelleck Grange, Chepstow" in the 1891 census.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I was about to say I am pleased I am no longer in the Dunce's corner but having said that I can't find a marriage for Lily to Hansford ! Possibly like Gertrude she married then divorced/husband died so she remarried .- nor is the person who is helping me put this on my Anc tree!

Best wishes
    Jill

Lilian Beatrice Hansford
    Death Date - 15 May 1973
    Death Place - Rogerstone Newport Mon
    Probate Date - 25 May 1973
    Registry - Llandaff

Lilian Beatrice Hansford of Little Oaks Private Nursing Home Rogerstone Newport Mon. probate llandaff 25 May
    £14979.00. 731801108c (I have no idea what this number means) No other names mentioned as executor or administrator.

Lilian Beatrice Hansford
    Death Age - 91
    Birth Date - March 1882
    Registration Date - June 1973
    Registration district - Caerleon Monmouthshire
    Vol 8c Page 401
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

CHRISTINA
    Again thanks so much for your input which is brilliant and a great help. I get so nervous posting on here showing my
    lack of research skills but I have got some things correct! Just need her marriage now but if I add date of death to my Anc tree
    perhaps a Hint will come up , although as a guest I can't access it! Life ain't easy!!
    Best wishes
    Jill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    CHRISTINA
    Again thanks so much for your input which is brilliant and a great help. I get so nervous posting on here showing my
    lack of research skills but I have got some things correct!
    Just need her marriage now but if I add date of death to my Anc tree
    perhaps a Hint will come up , although as a guest I can't access it! Life ain't easy!!
    Best wishes
    Jill
    Before you start a search, take a deep breath, and think about exactly who/what you're searching for, and what you already know about them. Write it down if you want - it's sometimes a good idea anyway as it can stop you searching for events in wrong years. (Most of my 'do this' advice comes from learning the hard way myself. )
    Sometimes you're hampered because you're looking for a very common name (e.g. Clarke/Clark) but sometimes you get a break because the name is less common.
    Next think where you can look for free, e.g. FreeBMD, FamilySearch, FreeCEN, and FreeREG (the latter being transcriptions of the census and parish registers respectively). None of the 'Free' family are complete yet, but they are still worth checking. And after you've found a death, remember the Probate Calendar - link in post #11, though double-check you're searching in the correct years as the supposed link I gave to 1858-1996 might still default to 1996 to present..

For instance, you want to know when Lilian Beatrice Hansford died, so you start with the knowledge that she was alive in whatever year Gertrude died, so search FreeBMD for a death for a Lilian B Hansford (only use the initial not the full middle name because for many years events were indexed using only the initial, not the full name), beginning with that year and possibly ending in 1983. (1983 being the 'end' year of FreeBMD.)
    If you see a 'possible' but are not sure of where the registration disrict is, then click on the district name and you get a further link to click on which will give you a list of places in that district. Having found a death registration, you can then search the Probate Calendar for a will, though remember to also search the7 following year because wills aren't always proved in the same year of death. (e.g. if someone dies 1 December probate will probably be the following year.)

You mentioned earlier that you wondered if Lilian Beatrice was the Lily Beatrice in the 1891 census, so look for a birth registration for her in either name. Remember to look at least one year either side of the birth year suggested in a census. Strictly speaking 1891 minus 9 is 1882 but for starters it all depends if someone has already had the birthday in the census year and secondly some of our ancestors weren't grade A students in either maths or remembering details about their children. Check on the GRO Historical births to see if her mother's maiden name is the same as Gertrude's.

(apologies - more to say but just had a crisis, plus tablet battery urgently needs recharging. Will finish this off a bit later.)
    ADDED:
    Nearly twenty-four hours later, hopefully back on track, and that I can remember what I was going to say.

Re a marriage for Lilian Beatrice to Hansford, the only actual Lilian Beatrice I can find is a Leakey marrying an Albert S Hansford, December quarter 1955, Bristol registration district. Searching the full GRO Index, there is no birth registration for a Lilian/Lillian/Lily/Lilly B Leakey anywhere in England and Wales prior to 1955, which seems to indicate that Lilian Leakey was a widow. There's also only one Alfred S(tevens) Hansford birth registered in England and Wales between 1837 and 1940 - in 1891.

Now, a challenge for you. Trust me, you can do this.
    Search FreeBMD for a death registration for Lilian B Leakey between 1955 and 1983.
    Look at what you find re registration district, and date of birth. (The MR by the way means March, as there's no precise date of birth given.)

Come back when you've got an answer.

P.S. To elsinore - I know you've been helping Jill enormously in this thread, but can I niceIy ask that you please butt out until she's had a chance to complete her challenge and reply. Nothing to stop you looking further, just don't reply. Thanks.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678