Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Thanks ELSINORE and CHRISTINA for your postings which are very helpful.

I will have to leave this for now as I am in too much of a muddle but think the situation is that the person
    I found Gertrude Eliza P Lomax born 1879 in Fylde can't be the person I seek for second marriage to William as
    Elsinore points outs the age is wrong and Christina says that person died in Fylde.
    However I believe the marriage and death I was following with middle initial E has middle name Eliza. Married to
    A William Clarke a Butcher which is correct and death has William as a butcher but she says Widow but he was alive.

I will wait to see if those connected to this line can shed any light on it.

PETER I note you point out that if William had married again why was his wife not on the 1939 register but
    wasn't that the same as a census ie those in the household at that time? not to worry - just curious!

I really need to see if there a Notice of Marriage and also Death Notice in local papers but welshnewspapersonline don't cover those dates.
    Best wishes
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

ELSINORE and CHRISTINA

I am jumping for joy as just heard from a new found relative that William did remarry and they separated
    so seemingly I have the correct person thanks to Elsinore's input!
    Jill

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Jill,
    Good news, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post

PETER I note you point out that if William had married again why was his wife not on the 1939 register but
    wasn't that the same as a census ie those in the household at that time? not to worry - just curious!
    My suggestion, at #17, was that you look for a Gertrude E CLARKE on the 1939 Register. You should then have found her living alone in Cardiff.

Now that you know for sure that William remarried, this looks like a probable answer:

A Gertrude E HUNT m. Robert N LOMAX 1916 Cardiff Q4 11A 523

Robert N LOMAX d. 1926 Bridgend, aged 46. Q3 11A 660

Thus leaving Gertrude E LOMAX free to marry William CLARKE.

There are two Gertrude Eliza HUNTs born in 1880:

Gertrude Eliza HUNT b. 1880 Cardiff Q2 11A 253 mmn WILLIAMS
    Gertrude Eliza HUNT b. 1880 Monmouth Q3 11A 38 mmn PRICE

As they both have the same middle name, either may be correct.

Peter

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Cardiff say that the Cardiff death in 1966 matches the marriage Elsinore suggested in
    Bridgend - but it's down as Widow of Wllliam Clarke, Butcher, which matches except he died after her.
    There are a number of reasons why that bit of info may be incorrect:

Gertrude may have believed she was a widow.
    She may have wanted others to believe she was a widow.
    Who was the informant and what knowledge did that person have? He or she may have assumed she was a widow.

Now that you know William and Gertrude separated, any of those reasons seem plausible.

Peter

A fountain of knowledge

ELSINORE

Dear Peter

very many thanks again. I had overlooked your reference to the 1939 register I am sorry to say. However that gives her dob as
    29th June 1880 and address at 147 Habershon Street, Cardiff, Unpaid domestic.
    That would presumably mean that Gertrude was born Q2 1880.

I was given the following information:

Yes – found all the info for Gertrude Eliza CLARKE, formerly LOMAX, nee HUNT
    She died in 1966.
    Buried: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/178020655
    Died Age 85. Died at Nazareth House, Colum Road, Cardiff.

Daughter of Uriah & Eliza HUNT of Cardiff.

but I don't know where this info came from.

This shows her death in Cardiff so possibly she returned after separating from her husband
    to where she was born - perhaps she had family living there.

The FindaGrave gives Burial in Tintern but on that link there's no way of telling if for the same person.

Very many thanks for all your help.
    Best wishes

Jill

Uriah William Hunt and Eliza Williams are on the same page of marriage records on FreeBMD. Marriage registered Cardiff district June 1/4 1871.
    On the GRO index site birth registration for Gertrude Eliza Hunt mmn WILLIAMS June 1/4 1880 reg dist Cardiff Vol 11A Page 253
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

In my previous post I gave the link I was given to FindAGrave with burial in Tintern which I thought odd.
    It is wrong since the Probate record gives date of death as 30th March 1966, at Nazareth House, Cardiff.

CHRISTINA
    That's so kind of you to have done that look up for me and the information is a great help.

ELSINORE - PETER - so ref your posting 23, Gertrude was the first of the two possible births ie mmn Williams.

Thanks to everyone for their input which is much appreciated.
    JIll

A fountain of knowledge

GEORGE CLARKE

I would very much appreciate some help with George Clarke as with the free Anc weekend I have gone rather stir crazy.
    It's difficult to pin him down with repetition of names. Parents Maurice Clarke 1837-1890 and Matilda nee Marchant 1835-1899.
    Various relatives have given me about three differing birth dates but today I have ended up with Sept 1863 Bedwelty as on the 1871 census he is down as age 7 born Aberystruth.

I was told he married Beatrice Reynolds (from Scotland) in 1898 but I can't find that at all.
    On the 1901 census he is married to Beatrice 36 born Llanelly ,Glamorgan.

On the 1911 census he says married 13 years which would be c1898. His family are at the Burgess Green Hotel, Aberavon, Glam.
    Arthur 24; David George 18 and Lydia 9.

I was also told he died 28.4.1937 Llandaff but I can't find that and nor could I find Probate. As I type that I realise that the person who gave me that has given the death date for one of George's brothers Maurice, whom I am descended from.

Any help gratefully received.
    with thanks
    Jill

Lydia from the 1911 census on the GRO index
    Birth registration Sarah Lydia June 1/4 1902 reg dist Neath vol 11a page 932 Mother's maiden name REYNOLDS.

familysearch.org has a marriage for a Sarah Lydia Clarke 1938 Cuyahoga, Ohio divorced, to Ernest Jones. Father George Clarke, mother Beatrice Reynolds This record is also on ancestry with the original image.

David George's Dec 1/4 1893 birth reg also has mmn Reynolds

Christina
    William Burroughs

Marriage
    George Clarke and Beatrice Reynolds on same page FreeBMD Sept 1/4 1885 reg dist Neath

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast