Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Jill, you can check for yourself if anyone left a will. Just make sure you are searching the correct years. This link should give you 1858-1995.
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar
    This one for 1996 onwards https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

You get more information in the index for the earlier years, though the index for the earlier years is sometimes a bit wonky - you'll be searching for Brown and the first page you see is full of Greens. If that happens just click on the next page and you should find the Browns.

Note that the Probate Office where a will was proved is often many miles from where someone lived. Suffolk/Lincolnshire, Manchester/Suffolk, London/Portsmouth to quote three random examples from the Index's pages.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks PAM - I will do battle with the link at some stage!

But also, ref my post No. 8:
    "Does someone have to have made a Will for Probate to be carried out? I know that Probate is the administration of
    someone's Estate ie would there be Probate for these three young people who can't have made a Will since they died in accidents."

meaning that family or someone would look after their business affairs despite not having a Will so would there be a Probate record?
    Jill

To the best of my knowledge, if someone left a will then you should find them in the Probate Calendar.
    If there's no will then you're said to have died intestate. Basic rule is assets go to dependents/descendants first, if none of those (usually wife or children), then it goes to parents, possibly siblings, depending on whether parents are still alive.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intestacy

I did forget to add that when searching the Probate Calendar always try the next year because if someone died late in one year then Probate may not have been granted until early in the next.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks again PAM - Very helpful information.

In post No 6 ELSINORE gave details of a possible second marriage for William Clarke.:

"Also William CLARKE, who's wife had died in 1932, could have remarried:

A William CLARKE m. Gertrude E LOMAX 1937 Bridgend Q4 11A 1457
    Gertrude E CLARKE d. 1966 Cardiff Q1 8B 146 (aged 85)"

is there any way I can find what Gertrude's middle name was please without ordering the certificate?

This possibility has come as rather a surprise to the person I am trying to help and with the prevalence of this surname
    I'd like to try to clarify.

with thanks
    Jill

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Thanks again PAM - Very helpful information.

In post No 6 ELSINORE gave details of a possible second marriage for William Clarke.:

"Also William CLARKE, who's wife had died in 1932, could have remarried:

A William CLARKE m. Gertrude E LOMAX 1937 Bridgend Q4 11A 1457
    Gertrude E CLARKE d. 1966 Cardiff Q1 8B 146 (aged 85)"

is there any way I can find what Gertrude's middle name was please without ordering the certificate?

This possibility has come as rather a surprise to the person I am trying to help and with the prevalence of this surname
    I'd like to try to clarify.

with thanks
    Jill
    Start by assuming that Gertrude E Lomax was her maiden name. Then from her age at death work out an approximate year of birth. (Prior to about 1911 usually a middle name was included in the Index.) Check out the GRO Index for free via either the GRO's Historical Births Index https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp or on FreeBMD.
    If no luck there, then I would see if I could find William and Gertrude in the 1939 Register as middle names are often given.

If still no luck, then try looking for a Gertrude E somebody marrying a somebody Lomax sometime between about sixteen years after Gertrude's birth and her marriage to William. If successful, then you'd need to look for the birth registration of that Gertrude E somebody in the year range implied by Gertrude's death certificate. Or you could just take the easiest and quickest option and send for William and Gertrude's marriage certificate. Which is certainly what I would do if neither of the first two suggestions didn't work.) Sometimes it's worth a tenner to save yourself possible hours of searching.

Lomax is not that common a surname so it might be worth searching the online Welsh newspapers if they cover 1937. Sorry, don't know the URL but there's possibly a link in one of the stickies at the top of the Wales forum.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks again PAM for your prompt reply. I am so overwhelmed with this that I can't see
    the wood for the trees.

I plucked up courage and tried Free BMD and indeed found a Birth for a Gertrude ELIZA P LOMAX
    September 1879 in Fylde, Lancs. Then on the same site did find Marriage with that name to William Clarke
    which fits info given. I also managed to narrow down the month of Death in Cardiff ie March 1966.

Thanks for the suggestion of the 1939 Register - that's what started this search as William is down
    as Married yet his wife had died which has thrown up this possibility to the surprise and shock of others.

Welshnewspapersonline don't go as far as the dates I need.

So very many thanks
    Best wishes
    Jill

Knowledgeable and helpful

I plucked up courage and tried Free BMD and indeed found a Birth for a Gertrude ELIZA P LOMAX
    September 1879 in Fylde, Lancs. Then on the same site did find Marriage with that name to William Clarke
    which fits info given. I also managed to narrow down the month of Death in Cardiff ie March 1966.
    I would be wary of the extra initial 'P'. If the age at death is to be believed, then the birth year is also suspect.

If William CLARKE was indeed married, according to the 1939 Register, where was his wife?

Try searching the Register for a Gertrude E Clarke, born c.1881. If you find a suitable candidate it will give you an exact birth date, which may help you determine whether you have found the correct birth.

All speculation of course and Pam's suggestion that you obtain the marriage certificate is the only way you will know for sure.

Peter

Death registration
    Gertrude E Powell Lomax
    Age at death 76
    Birth about 1880
    Registration Date - June 1956
    Registration district - Fylde Lancashire
    Vol 10c
    Page - 227

Her parents - David Lomax and Eliza (nee Speak?) marriage June 1/4 1876 Fylde reg dist.
    In 1911 she is still with her parents, occupation - musician

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks to those who made the recent postings. In light of Christina's finding in previous post I have to admit
    I have totally lost the plot! Cardiff say that the Cardiff death in 1966 matches the marriage Elsinore suggested in
    Bridgend - but it's down as Widow of Wllliam Clarke, Butcher, which matches except he died after her. Why did I start this?!
    Jill

Knowledgeable and helpful

Cardiff say that the Cardiff death in 1966 matches the marriage Elsinore suggested in
    Bridgend - but it's down as Widow of Wllliam Clarke, Butcher, which matches except he died after her.
    I think you're saying that Cardiff Register Office have confirmed the details of Gertrude E CLARKE's death. Is her middle name Eliza?

Peter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast