Default Thomas Mitchell - North Tawton.

Hello

My cousin down under in Australia, needs information about a THOMAS MITCHELL ...born around 1795 (I gather this is a guess) - North Tawton.

She believes he married a GRACE FRIEND in or about 1819 in North Tawton.

What she is looking for is ''Birth record and date and place of parents etc - if there is any information available''.

With kind regards

Richard

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Where has your friend obtained those details from? e.g. 1851 census, marriage in the North Tawton parish register, marriage in an index (if so, which one?), Australian marriage or death certificate?

It's always helpful if we know how reliable the information might be. e.g. so many people assume that when the marriage PRs before 1837 say someone was 'of this parish' that they were born there when it simply means they were living there at the time of the marriage.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

The original image of the marriage is on familysearch.org
    Thomas a bachelor, occupation labourer, Grace a spinster. Both 'of North Taunton' Married by banns 1 Jan 1819
    Witnesses - Thomas Godfrey and John Ellis. John Ellis is a witness at one of the other 2 marriages on the page
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hello Richard, it would help the search if you ask your friend how she got back to Thomas Mitchell, I presume she has traced back through a few generations, the names, places of birth and approx years of birth please, we then have something to work with.

I did find these baptisms which took place at North Tawton, all with parents Thomas and Grace. Spellings as per parish registers which are available to view on 'Family Search'.
    Thomas Mitchel, 28 July 1822
    George Mitchele, 14 November 1819
    John Mitchel, 5 February 1826
    Ann Mitchel, 10 August 1828
    Susanna 20th Oct 1833
    Alma

There was another Thomas/Grace couple in Devon having children around the same time, we therefore have to be careful.
    Thomas Mitchell married Grace Mander 25 Sep 1821 at Plymouth St Andrew.
    Alma