Starting to feel at home

Default Eli Wright 1847 - 1886 Stonemason

I am trying to find out more about the life of Eli Wright and specifically where and when he was married.

Eli was born in 1847 in Northampton, and baptised on 21 November 1847 Floore Northampton. His parents were William and Recekah Wright.
    1861 census he is a 13 year old ag. lab. living with his parents Floore, Northampton.
    1871 census he is a 23 year old boarder, occupation stonemason, unmarried from Floore, Northampton living in Loughborough - district 17.

By 1881 life has moved on for Eli he is living in Croydon, 2 Princess Road, Princess Terrace with a wife Elizabeth Wright aged 30 from Northampton and a son Eli Wright aged one year born in Lambeth, Surrey.

Who was Elizabeth? When did he marry her? The first child Eli was born on 6th March 1880, and baptised on 19th March 1880 at St Georges Union workhouse Fulham Road. Mother and son left the workhouse on 29th March 1880. They had more children two daughters and a son, before Eli died in 1886. (The son Eli led a colourful life, adopted in 1891 to the Brown family in 1901 and 1911 he is a convict).

I would like to know Elizabeth's origins, and her maiden name. I will order one of the children's birth certificates to find a maiden name, but did Eli and Elizabeth ever marry? Help in finding a marriage record would be great as should I be looking in Northampton, Loughborough, London, or Croydon?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Diamond, the son Eli was born Mar qtr 1880 St George Hanover Square, mothers maiden name Brunson, but as yet I cannot find a marriage for a Eli Wright and a Brunson. Robert

Brick wall demolition expert!

Eli Wright birth registered in the March quarter of 1880 in St. George Hanover Square Vol 01A Page 411, his mother’s maiden name was Brunson. That is only Eli Wright of the right age born in London. However, I have not found a marriage between Eli Wright and Elizabeth Brunson. That might be because Elizabeth had been married before, in which case her marriage would appear under her married name rather than her maiden name.

I see that Robert beat me to it, but I agree with him.

You could order the birth certificate from https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi again Diamond, on Free BMD there is a Marriage for Eli Wright Mar 1880, Holborn, on the border of Middlesex and London.

But there is a problem, it is recorded as vol 1b page 709, and it is the only one on this page for Holborn, the others being for another district, looking at what you would expect to see for Marriage in Holborn, the range is Vol 1b and pages 765 to 900, so the page No is obviously the problem, 7_9 with 7,8 or 9 as the correct number possibly, but of course it could be the first or last number that is at fault.

Reputation beyond repute

But there is a problem, it is recorded as vol 1b page 709,
    Er. It's page 769. The marriage is with an Ellen McMillian. Eli is a 30 year old engraver.

Reputation beyond repute

Eli Wright born 6 Mar 1880 to Elizabeth Wright at the Fulham Road Workhouse (St Geo HS Union). Birth noted as legitimate.

Reputation beyond repute

Just to wind up this red herring...

Ellen McMillian born Epsom 1849. In the 1881 census she is living happily with her husband Eli, a silver engraver, at 100 Rosoman Street (their abode on marriage).

marj

Could this be Elizabeth in 1851 census Gray Street H)107/2090/425
    found on familysearch

William Branston 36 Labourer b. Fleckney Leicester
    Elizabeth wife 40 b. Leicester
    Ann dtr 6 "
    William son 4 "
    Elizabeth dtr 0 "

Eli Wright is with the brown family in Leicester 1891 census
    Ann Bronsen married James Brown Dec Qtr 1864

mmn for Eli in 1880 was Brunson

Hope this helps