Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Richard Harcourt fought with King James

Does anyone have information on Richard Harcourt who faught with king James against William of Orange? What year was he born? Who were his brothers, sister,mother, father, and children?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    I have given your post a thread of its own in the General Family History Queries. Its new title is Richard Harcourt fought with King James.
    I googled and found this PDF document which is held at the Leicester University (UK). I have only skipped through a couple of pages so you will have to read it to see if it is relevant to you
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you looked at books.google.co.uk

I typed in Richard Harcourt and got 5 results more when typing in other connections

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello

thank you I will look it up. Recently my wife found her family's coat of arms that her mother had when she passed away. I did research and on their harcourt side i ran into a dead end with a John Harcourt. Today I found out that Richard who fought with King James stayed in Ireland. He had a son also named Richard. That Richard had a son named John Harcourt born 1747-1818. Which is my dead end. John Harcourt 1747-1818 had children named.
    Richard H. 1786-1844, John S H. 1789-1877, James H. 1796, Joseph H. 1792, Anne H. 1780, Mary Jane H. 1784-1852, and George H. 1794.
    It is through this john, John S H. 1789 who married Jane Woods Daughter or grand daughter from the top of my head of David Woods that she descends. The coat of arms isn't just the Harcourt coat of arms but one of two noble families when they are married. I was trying to figure of which family that comes from. She also s descent through a Belgian family and has I believe an Irish coat of arms from her grandfather who married the descendant of John Harcourt.
    Last edited by Cwillis; 03-03-2018 at 3:45 AM. Reason: Misspellings

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry Jane Woods father's was Thomas Woods uncle to David Woods.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi, and welcome.

I was very interested to see your post, as I am descended from a Northern Irish Harcourt family. The earliest one for whom I have dates is William Harcourt (1814-1870), son of John. Based on membership lists from an Orange lodge, I believe John's father may have been a William.

The earliest location I have for mine is Portadown, Co. Armagh, and particularly the townland of Ballyworkan, where there is a road or area called Harcourts Hill, but William moved to Tandragee, where he was a publican. William had 5 daughters, and the second, Eliza Jane, was my great grandmother. There are family burials in Mullavilly.

Over the years I've tried to find out more about Harcourt origins, but have been hampered by a lack of access to Portadown/Drumcree parish registers. Mostly it seems that I have an array of scraps of information, but nothing that definitely links my family to other Harcourts in the area.

One of the sources I've consulted is "HARCURIA - A History of the Family of Harcourt" privately published in about 1930 by W. Harcourt-Bath (sometimes recorded as W.H. Bath). There are a handful of copies in libraries in the UK, but some might have reached the USA.

This mentions your line, and gives essentially the same lineage as you have provided. With the help of hints provided by a correspondent, I have found substantially the same information in a history of the parish of Donaghmore (Co. Down): "An ancient Irish parish : past and present, being the parish of Donaghmore, county Down" by J Davison Cowan (1914). This can be found online at
    https://
    archive.org/details/ancientirishpari00cowarich
    and the reference to the Harcourt family is on p.215. As there is some similarity of wording, I suspect Harcourt-Bath may have used Cowan as one of his sources.

Cowan mentions three members of a Harcourt family coming to Ireland to take part in the relief of the siege of Derry in 1688, and later the Battle of the Boyne; Richard subsequently settled in Donaghmore. Harcourt-Bath believed they were brothers, but after looking at the likely ages at which children might be fathered, my correspondent thought they might be father, son and cousin.

H-B states that these Harcourts accompanied William III to Ireland in 1688, but this may be incorrect: as far as I've been able to discover, William himself didn't go to Ireland until 1690, though if the Harcourts were there to relieve the siege, they were clearly on William's side rather than James's.

I'm not sure where you have found your information about the Harcourts fighting for James, but if true, it calls into question the tradition that has passed down the family and is recorded in these publications.

I don't think anyone has established for certain that all the Irish Harcourts are related - certainly mine seem to be an island of their own at present, though being not too many miles from Donaghmore, it seems reasonable to think that there could be a connection somewhere.

And as far as I know, no-one has established which English Harcourt family they connect to. There may be clues somewhere in deeds and family papers, but such things are rarely available online. DNA testing might also provide hints, but the connections are so far back that there may be little chance of identifying any shared segments. However, I've done an autosomal test, and would be happy to compare results with anyone who could have a Harcourt connection.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yea it was my mistake. They faught with William not James. I was writing it from sheer memory. There are many of the same names that repeat it's self throughout the generations. Brothers and sisters giving their children essentially the same names, it was an over load on my memory.

From my understanding all Harcourts around that time are related. I have not found anything hinting to anything else.
    I have not read anything about a William Harcourt though. My research right now is focusing on her direct line that way I can retrace all other information to fill in later.

Richard Harcourt who faught at the battle of boyne was the grandfather of John Harcourt 1747-1818. This John father name was also Richard after his father who faught with William of Orange.

I'm speculating but looking through and seeing the pattern or how they name their children it could be that Richard who fought with William of Orange had more than one son. But again that's just speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwillis View Post
    Richard Harcourt who faught at the battle of boyne was the grandfather of John Harcourt 1747-1818. This John father name was also Richard after his father who faught with William of Orange.

I'm speculating but looking through and seeing the pattern or how they name their children it could be that Richard who fought with William of Orange had more than one son. But again that's just speculation.
    My correspondent suggested that the Harcourts who fought for William of Orange were:
    Richard (1630-1688 - possibly died in Siege of Derry)
    his son Richard (1660-1720) (the Lieutenant at the Battle of the Boyne)
    - these two possibly from London
    and a cousin Nathaniel (1662-1729)
    possibly from Warwickshire

Then the line descending from the two Richards was:
    Richard (1685-1750)
    Richard (1716-1784)
    John (1746-1818) - the one you mention

Nathaniel, he said, is thought to have returned to England, somewhere in the Liverpool area.

Harcourt-Bath has a different reconstruction:
    Lt Richard
    Richard (d.1772)
    John (1747-1818)
    and I don't think he mentions Nathaniel. However, he does mention a second son for the lieutenant - Charles Alexander. My correspondent found references to him in Cowan (p.225 & 239), but as though the surname was Alexander rather than Harcourt. Was he a stepson, or adopted?

I haven't seen any original documentation relating to this, so while there seems to be agreement that your wife's line goes back to the lieutenant, I don't know which of these suggestions is more likely to be correct. I also don't know whether Nathaniel really was a cousin: something that my correspondent quoted, which looks as though it came from one of his contacts, suggests that he might have been brother of the younger Richard.

Anyway, looking back through old emails, I've just realised that apart from my own trip to look at Harcuria, all of this arose from an earlier posting on this site, which you can find at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...arcourt-Family.
    Neither of the others who contributed to the thread seems to have been active here since then, but it might be worth you trying to get in touch by private message.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for the information. I will look into it further.
    The Richard Harcourt would have to be in line with Philip Harcourt. Philip Harcourt Jacobean armorial which is quarterly 9 matches the coat of arms that I have.
    I also cannot find any information on Philip Harcourt which matches the Jacobean Armorials. There was a picture online of it with little information, but it has since been deleted and all information on him seems to vanish.
    I was going to retrace from there but no longer can. I will look through the information you gave and try to match up with what I have. Thanks again and have a great day.

I'll look forward to reading any thoughts you may have, but in the meantime, I'm afraid you've now left me behind. Heraldry is something I know next to nothing about, and I can't see anything about a Philip Harcourt in my notes or those of my earlier contact.