Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up St Joseph's children's home

Hi all,

I'm trying to trace a Catholic home run by Nuns where I was placed with my two young siblings.

It was based in Enfield, but I have tried to trace the home with no success. I was probably aged 4 till 7 or so before being whisked off to Parents native country.

Does anyone know where it is, if it's still functional or defunct?

I remember Carl a young American child who I shared a room with in one of the houses. The catholic home was set up with a holistic living arrangement. Every child was placed in a house and there was a Nanny or a Social worker living in too. Was quite nicer than home where my father battered mother constantly. I believe it was privately owned and not state run. Never recalled mother visiting us as she was depressed mentally as a victim of domestic violence by father.

It's just that as a lawyer, now I'm training to be a Social worker to contribute to the care industry. No child should live in fear.

In the house, Carl was naughty at times! He would urinate in a cup and pass it off as a drink. A bit of a nasty handful he was! I didnt see it as abuse snywsy. I still taste the horrible liquid in that cup now!

Anyway, I just wanted to know what happened to the home. Anyone?
    Last edited by Maturelady2018; 28-02-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Typo Errors

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

We've had an earlier search for a Catholic Orphanage in Enfield which you can find HERE. The suggestion was that it was St Joseph's. Take a look - there's a couple of previous residents and a suggested website.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

We've had an earlier search for a Catholic Orphanage in Enfield which you can find HERE. The suggestion was that it was St Joseph's. Take a look - there's a couple of previous residents and a suggested website.
    Yes.....but not sure this was an orphanage. I wasn't an orphan at the time.

I think that many people use "children's home"and "orphanage" interchangeably. It's quite likely that "orphanage" wasn't the official name...

Famous for offering help & advice

Googling St Josephs children's home Enfield brought a few hits.
    One being the site below.Its a very old posted page but may help you clarify if it's the same place you were in.

Keep scrolling down there is a few posts from way back .Google also has a few other you could try.

https://knowhere.co.uk/Enfield/Middle...ssages?start=5

There's also this
    https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/EnfieldStJoseph/

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Googling St Josephs children's home Enfield brought a few hits.
    One being the site below.Its a very old posted page but may help you clarify if it's the same place you were in.

Keep scrolling down there is a few posts from way back .Google also has a few other you could try.

https://knowhere.co.uk/Enfield/Middle...ssages?start=5

There's also this
    https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/EnfieldStJoseph/
    THANKS @PamelaWagster,

I already browsed the threads, but it's good to know that some people were there when I was: during the late 60s. As I said, I was there for a very short time.

Does this imply that all the children were 'taken into care' at St Joseph's children's home?

I recall a few years back when I was driving with my Father ( now late) in Enfield and he showed me the spot where the home used to be. It's near the Registry Office.
    I was there with my younger sibling, can't remember much else. One of our siblings was an infant and placed in another babies home. Yet, would be nice to know who else was there in late 60s.

THANKS...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Maturelady2018 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm trying to trace a Catholic home run by Nuns where I was placed with my two young siblings.

It was based in Enfield, but I have tried to trace the home with no success. I was probably aged 4 till 7 or so before being whisked off to Parents native country.

I remember Carl a young American child who I shared a room with in one of the houses. The catholic home was set up with a holistic living arrangement. Every child was placed in a house and there was a Nanny or a Social worker living in too. Was quite nicer than home where my father battered mother constantly. I believe it was privately owned and not state run. Never recalled mother visiting us as she was depressed mentally as a victim of domestic violence by father.

It's just that as a lawyer, now I'm training to be a Social worker to contribute to the care industry. No child should live in fear.

In the house, Carl was naughty at times! He would urinate in a cup and pass it off as a drink. A bit of a nasty handful he was! I didnt see it as abuse snywsy. I still taste the horrible liquid in that cup now!

Hi was there any kids at this place your looking for called Paul & Carol Tippit & Gary Longmore & also a nun called sister Joseph

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Re St Jospeh’s

I saw your email on line when I googled St Jospeh’s.
    My sister and I stayed there for two years in the short stay house.
    It was on Holtwhites Hill Enfield but it is not there any more.
    I have been unable to find any information about what happened to it.
    I remember some people but not the person you mentioned.
    There is only the historical information about how it was a boys home.
    Did you manage to find out any more information. I know it was run by nuns but social services placed children there.
    Best wishes
    Ange.

Quote Originally Posted by Maturelady2018 View Post
    Hi all,

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I’ve also stayed at St Joseph’s around the early 70’s. I was very very young.
    From what I remember there was a huge house in which the children stayed. Outside the back was a concrete playground and there were one or possibly two large fenced 5 a side football pitches to the side of the house. There were also a couple of garages towards the back of the concrete playground. Running along the side of the garages were the nurses/mothers quarters which is where my mum was.
    I only remember 2 nuns Sisters Irene and Nora. I remember they always used to have arguments during our mealtimes.
    I have a very good reason for remembering such details. I still have nightmares walking along the huge corridors of the house we stayed in and the shouting and screaming of the Sisters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast