Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Whitbread Royal Artillery

I've been working to find out information on my three greats grandfather John Whitbread and his service in the Royal Artillery. I have found him in the 1851 Census in the Royal Artillery Barracks. By 1861 he was in Scarborough, Yorkshire in the Militia Artillery. He was a Chelsea Pensioner still living in Scarborough in 1871. Can anyone help me with a direction to find more on his service in the Artillery?

Thanks,

Robert

There are 3 military records for a John Whitbread on Findmypast but they don't give a date of service when doing a basic search. I don't have a sub and even if I did their T & C's would prevent me from giving you the information. They do have a free library version so may be worth asking your local libraries. One of them may have it. However military records from that time can be very sparse with information.
    Have you tried searching on The National Archives site for information regarding the Artillery. Here

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I'd tried to look at the archives after finding the census references on ancestry. But I was unsure which direction to look. The archivists at Chelsea with the pensioners' records directed me to the archives which brought me to the findmypast link. With no membership I thought I would try to see if there's another source. Thank you for your assistance.

Robert

FindMyPast has a short (4 page) record for a John Whitebread, no. 1065, born Enfield, which fits place of birth and age on census (1871, 1891). Also, he is listed on their 1861 British army,world wide index
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for the information. I've found this record on fold3.

Robert

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Whitbread

Hi There,

If John Whitbread was your 3x great grandfather, can I assume the theatre manager and playwright James William Whitbread, his son, is also your relative. If so I would be grateful to know if you have any information about him that you could share with me.

Regards

Martin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry,I didn't know his son was a playwright. I'm very limited on my knowledge of this line; and only recently discovered John's name & information.

Hello Martin and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

Would you like to expand on the type of information you are wanting on James William Whitbread? I can see him with his family in the 1861 census age 13 and his occupation is Trumpeter in the York Artillery Militia. In 1871 he is still with his father but is now a Joiner as well as a Trumpeter Militia. His father is a Chelsea Pensioner from the RA and a gardener.
    I can't find him in 1881 and 1891 as yet but in 1901 he is in Ireland as a Theatrical Manager with his wife Rachel and children Florenc Elizabeth and Isabel Louise. Ah - Isabel Louise was born in Scotland c1877 so they may have been living there is 1881. Well Rachel, Florence and Isabel were in England but James William isn't with them. RG11 Piece 4802 Folio 182 Page 94.
    Neither of his daughters appeared to have married.
    I'd better stop because you probably already have all of this but the search was interesting
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hello Martin and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

W
    I can't find him in 1881 and 1891 as yet but in 1901 he is in Ireland as a Theatrical Manager with his wife Rachel and children Florenc Elizabeth and Isabel Louise.
    He was manager of the Queen's Theatre, Dublin
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I'd be interested to learn what you know of John and his Chelsea pensioner connections that you found on Fold3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast