sbaxter

Default Baxters in Ramsgate

Trying to track down any information related to my grandfather Clarence Joy Baxter (aka Roy Baxter) who I have listed as having lived at 73 Stirling Way, Ramsgate on his death certificate in 1986. This lists an Olive Margaret Baxter as the informant, with the probate records naming her & (name redacted) Newby as receiving it for a (name redacted) Baxter, on his turning 18. I have been unable to find any information on these others & any help would be greatly appreciated.

The death certificate also lists my grandfather as being a licensed victualler (retired). Being a publican myself, any info as to what pub he may have run would also be great!
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 26-02-2018 at 7:52 AM. Reason: Names of possible living people removed

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by sbaxter View Post
    Trying to track down any information related to my grandfather Clarence Joy Baxter (aka Roy Baxter) who I have listed as having lived at 73 Stirling Way, Ramsgate on his death certificate in 1986.
    The death certificate also lists my grandfather as being a licensed victualler (retired). Being a publican myself, any info as to what pub he may have run would also be great!
    As always, a precise question of what sort of information you would like to know is likely to be more successful than a vague one. For instance, do you want to know only about his life, or do you want to trace his parents, grandparents, etc?

Do you have his marriage certificate which would confirm his father's name, and/or his birth certificate to confirm his parents' names?
    What else do you know about him? e.g. when he married, when he moved south from Derbyshire, where he lived once south of the Thames. Where were your father/mother and any of their siblings born? What's Clarence's occupation on the birth certificate of your father/mother? Have you seen an obituary in a local paper for him? (Ramsgate library have a 'local studies collection' which usually include local newspapers.)

This lists an Olive Margaret Baxter as the informant, with the probate records naming her & (name redacted) Newby as receiving it for a (name redacted) Baxter, on his turning 18. I have been unable to find any information on these others & any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The Forum T&Cs do not allow details of possible living people.
    Re the person 'on his turning 18' - you need to search the GRO Index for a birth for someone of this name. If you don't have a subscription to Ancestry or Findmypast your local library probably has free access. There's a likely person with that first name/middle initial in the 2002-2014 Electoral Rolls on FMP. Don't know how current that address is - you could try checking the BT Phone Book.
    Some ways to find out who Olive might be - search the online GRO Index for a marriage of a Baxter and someone with the first name of Olive. Or was she born a Baxter? Has she died since 1986? Again search the GRO Index online for deaths up to September quarter 2007 online. From then until now you'll need to go to one of the places mentioned here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...FamilyHistory1
    Alternatively, if she died and left a will you can check that at https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
    Again, check the 2002-2014 online electoral rolls. If you find a town, again you could check the BT Phone Book, as I doubt there are that many O. Baxters around. (Please don't tell me if you find a hundred Oliver Baxters!!)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”