Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kate Taylor

Settling in

Default Kate Taylor

Kate Taylor was the unmarried mother of my grandfather, Lionel Arthur Taylor, born in Cheltenham in 1917. His birth certificate has only his mother's name - no information on her age or occupation. His baptism certificate is signed by his guardian, Mrs Hooper, who it seems he lived with up to adulthood as least to the age of 17/18. He married my grandmother at 22 having just signed up for the army, leaving for WWII just after the birth of my mother in June 1940.

We would love to be able to find his mother's family and also to trace his father's family but so far have been unable to even confirm the "right" Kate Taylor.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be much appreciated!

Hi
    Do you have any more information on the Mrs Hooper, his guardian/ Full name, address, husband, children etc? Where was your grandfather baptised? As your grandfather was born 1917 his 'adoption' by Mrs Hooper would have been a casual arrangement between families because Formal adoption was not legalised until 1927.
    You do have a battle on your hands with this one.
    My reply will move your thread up the list so will help attract others attention.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Growing old Disgracefully

Did he die 03/1990 Cheltenham Gloucestershire England

and did he Marry - Nancy P M Horsman 09/1939 Cheltenham Gloucestershire. Have you got this cert. what has it got down for fathers name

You won't find who his father is as it sounds as if he was illegitimate ie parents not married.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    Do you have any more information on the Mrs Hooper, his guardian/ Full name, address, husband, children etc? Where was your grandfather baptised? As your grandfather was born 1917 his 'adoption' by Mrs Hooper would have been a casual arrangement between families because Formal adoption was not legalised until 1927.
    You do have a battle on your hands with this one.
    My reply will move your thread up the list so will help attract others attention.
    Christina
    His guardian was Mrs Alice Hooper, wife of Mr Hubert Charles Hooper, living at 32 Rose & Crown Passage, Cheltenham at the time of my grandfather's birth. We are fairly certain he was not formally adopted. He was baptised at St Mary's Cheltenham on 10th March 1918, the baptism certificate is signed by Mrs Hooper.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Did he die 03/1990 Cheltenham Gloucestershire England

and did he Marry - Nancy P M Horsman 09/1939 Cheltenham Gloucestershire. Have you got this cert. what has it got down for fathers name

You won't find who his father is as it sounds as if he was illegitimate ie parents not married.
    Yes, he died at home on 5/3/1990 in Cheltenham and he married Nancy Horsman on 18/9/1939 also in Cheltenham. His father's name is not given on the marriage certificate, his birth certificate or his military records. We're fairly certain his mother was unmarried when he was born.

His guardian was Mrs Alice Hooper, wife of Mr Hubert Charles Hooper
    How certain are you that Alice Hooper and Hubert Charles Hooper were married? The records I've followed suggest Alice was more likely Hubert's mother.
    Alma

An interesting marriage record for Hubert. On the original image the column headed Father has Father crossed out and Mother handwritten above it with his mother's name Alice Susan Hooper written in the column.
    Herbert Charles Agg Cooper married Matilda Kathleen Gregory in 1917. She died June 1/4 1936

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I note Hubert's full name is...Hubert Charles AGG Hooper, have you tried looking for male AGG/HAGGS who potentially could be his father. It will of course be difficult to prove as there's no father's name on his birth certificate, but AGG isn't a common name so perhaps could lead you to something of interest.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    An interesting marriage record for Hubert. On the original image the column headed Father has Father crossed out and Mother handwritten above it with his mother's name Alice Susan Hooper written in the column.
    Herbert Charles Agg Cooper married Matilda Kathleen Gregory in 1917. She died June 1/4 1936

Christina
    Exactly, Christina, which is why I think Alice Hooper, mentioned up thread at #4 is Hubert's mother, not his wife, I don't think she was married, so they are mother and son.
    Alma

but AGG isn't a common name so perhaps could lead you to something of interest.
    I take that back, AGG is more common than I knew, lots of Agg's in Cheltenham so it won't be easy trying to prove or disprove that Hubert's father's surname was/wasn't Agg.
    Alma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast