Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kate Taylor

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Clutching at straws
    Published: Monday 17 December 1917
    Newspaper: Gloucestershire Echo
    After the child was born did not deny the paternity, and told the girl's that would arrange with his aunt for adoption of the child, in the meantime offering to pay Is. €d. a week towards the child s maintenance.—The girl's mother cave evidence ...

Spurious father Victor Henry Gapper 12 Worcester Street Cheltenham, no mention of 15/16 year olds name or sex of baby!

Victor b 1895 followed the trade of Baker ( sure I have seen that somewhere!) There is a photo of him on his Merchant Navy record on FMP

Settling in

Thanks for your detailed reply but it is actually details of Hubert's children I am now trying to follow up as I believe Hubert was my grandfather's father. I know he had 2 legitimate children, Joan Alice born 1923 who died in 1990 - I have her death certificate which is signed by a William Charles Hooper about whom I can find no records other than 2 potential marriages to a Violet Joyce Roles in 1956 and to a Moya L Sheridan in 1982 - an M L Hooper is now living (according to BT Phonebook) at the address given for William on Joan's death certificate indicating perhaps that he has now passed away. I can't find any birth or death records for William but there are 2 closed records on the 1939 register for Hubert Hooper's family one of which I imagine is William.

We would really love to be able to get a photo of Hubert and / or his children as my grandfather had striking dark brown eyes which my mother and my sister inherited - would go a long way in convincing us that Hubert was his father which is something my mother has wanted to know all her life!

Julie

Settling in

Mum has taken the ancestry DNA test - nothing has come from it so far.

The address on the birth certificate for Kate Taylor is 2 Carnall Cottages, Rose & Crown Passage. A Lucy Derrett is shown as living there on 1901 (occupation cook) & 1911 census (occupation laundress). We believe Kate may have been living in. The Kate I favour is Kate Hilda Taylor who was born in 1904 in Swindon Street Cheltenham and is shown on the 1911 census living with her parents at the Apple Tree Inn in Russel Street in Cheltenham where her mother was the inn Keeper. Russel street isn't far from where the Rose & Crown Passage was and Hubert & his mother were living at 32 Rose & Crown Passage in 1922.

Settling in

This is interesting - I'd found a Phyllis M Hooper on the electoral role but hadn't worked out where she fitted in!
    Thanks

Julie

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The Kate I favour is Kate Hilda Taylor who was born in 1904 in Swindon Street Cheltenham
    The conclusion I came to after finding the news article, however the purported father could be Victor Gapper, in his defence he suggested that he had made arrangements for the child to live with his Aunt!

Spurious father Victor Henry Gapper 12 Worcester Street Cheltenham, no mention of 15/16 year olds name or sex of baby!
    Read it again, Geneius , as I understood it to name the 15/16yr old as Gwendoline Hiles.
    Alma

Chelmsford Chronicle 29 June 1917

Affiliation - Charles Houston. trooper of the Dragoons, was summoned to show cause, etc, in respect to the child of Elsie Kate Taylor, single woman, Hazeleigh. Defendant, who denied paternity, was ordered to pay the Doctor's bill and 3s for child's maintenance.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Chelmsford Chronicle 29 June 1917

Affiliation - Charles Houston. trooper of the Dragoons, was summoned to show cause, etc, in respect to the child of Elsie Kate Taylor, single woman, Hazeleigh. Defendant, who denied paternity, was ordered to pay the Doctor's bill and 3s for child's maintenance.
    Scrap that, probably not her as it is in a Chelmsford newspaper, not Cheltenham..........oops.
    Alma

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123