Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kate Taylor

No mother's maiden name on the birth registration, indicating a likely illegitimate birth.

HOOPER, HUBERT CHARLES AGG - (MMN left blank)
    GRO Reference: 1897 S Quarter in CHELTENHAM Volume 06A Page 429
    Alma

I've tried to connect a Kate Taylor to the Hooper family, as yet I haven't found a connection, perhaps there isn't one. Or, possibly someone else will have more success. My heads spinning with Hoopers'.
    Alma

Growing old Disgracefully

read your post wrong

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    How certain are you that Alice Hooper and Hubert Charles Hooper were married? The records I've followed suggest Alice was more likely Hubert's mother.
    As I am picking up my mother's research, this aspect isn't something I had checked myself. I've now had a bit of a look and can see that what you're saying is almost certainly correct.

Thanks, this is now an interesting line of research with the implication that Hubert could in fact be his father though proving it will of course be difficult. I will do some more careful research on this at the weekend.
    Thanks
    Julie

My father was given to his non biological parents in 1911 and as his 'adoptive' father's surname was Roberts and his biological mother's mother was Roberts I was convinced there was a relationship on Grandad Roberts side but I couldn't find it. It wasn't until the 1911 census came out that another scenario occurred. Living 4 doors up from Grandma and Grandad Roberts were my dad's biological mother's brother and his wife. So I now lean to this being the catalyst for the casual handing over of Dad to a childless couple. His biological parents were married and had been for a few years before he and older siblings were born.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

I am convinced (though can't prove) that Hubert was my grandfather's father and am trying to come forward in my research. I found a daughter Joan Alice Hooper but it seems she didn't marry, however, her death certificate was signed by a William Charles Hooper, brother.
    I have so far not found any records for William other than a potential marriage record to a Violet Joyce Roles - I'm now waiting to receive the marriage certificate. I have also found that Hubert's 1939 register record has 2 closed records, 1 of which could be William who may therefore still be alive and of course there's the question of who the 2nd closed record is. It's odd though that there's no birth record for him.
    Julie

Hi Julie,

This book has often been recommended on the forums, it gives help with research strategies for illegitimate ancestors. It may be worth a punt.

"My Ancestor Was a Bastard: A Family Historian's Guide to Sources for Illegitimacy in England and Wales, by Ruth Paley"
    Alma

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Dec Alice S HOOPER was single & b 27 Dec 1870

1911 Alice is living with her parents and Hubert desc as grandson to head of household! There are also 2 other Evans grandchildren in the house their mother was sister Amy nee Hooper who died in 1906

RG14; Piece: 15541; Schedule Number: 150
    6 Station Street, Cheltenham
    William Hooper 68
    Susan Hooper 70
    Alice Hooper 4 age transcribed incorrectly s/b 40 daughter
    Herbert Hooper 13 grandson
    Charles Evans 8 grandson
    Bessie Evans 7 granddau

Hubert's baptism sates his mother Alice is a single woman
    Hubert Charles Agg Hooper
    Event Type: Baptism
    Baptism Date: 5 Jun 1898
    Baptism Place: Cheltenham, St Mary, Gloucestershire, England
    Mother: Alice Susan Hooper

Hubert's 1917 marriage entry is on line, it states Alice Susan Hooper under the father's name

This could be Hubert's father!
    Name: Charles Agg
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
    Registration Year: 1899
    Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Age at Death: 29
    Registration district: Kidderminster

Looking at Hubert as the potential father has its merits, he married on 1 April 1917 Matilda Kathleen Gregory your grandfather was b 17 April 1917,Matilda died 1936. There was one daughter b 1923

I looked at the only suitable Kate Taylor on the 1911 census, b Frances Kate Taylor 1895 Cheltenham, can be discounted as she married 1914 Percy Ballinger and had 4 sons.....

Have you considered a DNA test?

23 November 1950 - Gloucestershire Echo - Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

November 22nd, at 2.30 p.m. at Cheltenham Registrar's Office, Hubert Charles Hooper to Phyllis Marjorie Bowles. Both Cheltenham

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast