Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default South African records

My great grandfather, Henry George Dixon, emigrated to South Africa in about 1900, we believe he opened a hotel in South Africa, possibly called Hotel Dixon. I would like to know if there is any way of tracing him in SA. Thanks.

Hallo Tina, and a warm welcome to British-Genealogy. Have a look at this thread to give you some pointers re searching South African records
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your help, I'll have a look now. Do you happen to knowif there is a way to find "notices" placed in newspapers. We believe my great grandad had a hotel in South Africa, in the 1950's there was apparently a "notice" placed in the News of the World asking for relatives of great grandad to contact a solicitor, nobody followed it up at the time, it might help me trace greatgrandad.
    Thanks
    Tina

I have access to the World Newspaper Archive, which has a few South African papers, and there are two references to a Dixon's Hotel in Mafeking, dating from 1901 and 1904.

As to the News of the World, you might find something in the British Newspaper Archive at https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/. It is pay per view, but there is a Try It For Free button.
    Sue Mackay

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    I have access to the World Newspaper Archive, which has a few South African papers, and there are two references to a Dixon's Hotel in Mafeking, dating from 1901 and 1904.
    Dixon's Hotel in Mafeking played a large part in the Siege of Mafeking during the Boer War, and has links to Baden-Powell, so there are numerous articles and pictures available on Google, but it may well have been established prior to your great grandfather's time. When was Henry George Dixon born?
    Sue Mackay

FMP shows that there was a Henry George Dixon who took part in the 1899-1902 Boer War. Even if he is not the founder of the Dixon's Hotel in Mafeking, could he have gone out to SA originally as a soldier and stayed?
    Sue Mackay

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Henry George Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    FMP shows that there was a Henry George Dixon who took part in the 1899-1902 Boer War. Even if he is not the founder of the Dixon's Hotel in Mafeking, could he have gone out to SA originally as a soldier and stayed?
    He was born in 1857, he was a soldier in London and I think he might have been a soldier in the Boer War. I haven't been able to find a notice of his death yet.

I have moved this to the Boer War forum where it might attract the attention of those who know more about it than I do.
    Sue Mackay

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Boer war forum

Thank you. How do I access the Boer War forum?

Quote Originally Posted by TinaHughes View Post
    Thank you. How do I access the Boer War forum?
    This post is in it, so if you want to see other posts in the Boer War Forum then scroll up to the top of this thread to the line just above the orange FWR banner, and click on Boer War. To reach the Boer War forum otherwise click on Forum (top right) and you will find it under History Topics.
    Sue Mackay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast