Thread: 1925 mystery

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile 1925 mystery

My father's uncle, Alexander Charles Joseph Meeker Charlier (age 39) on the 20 Feb. 1924, sailed 1st Class on the steamship "Adda" from Port Liverpool, Lancashire, England to Seccondee, on the West Coast of Africa. Alex, a Civil Servant was accompanied by his wife, Violet (age 40 yrs).

5 Jan 1925, Alex arrived back at the Port of Liverpool. He left Africa travelling 2nd Class on the steamship" "Adda". Alex was described as a "prisoner under sentence". 2 Policeman were also listed as passengers. His wife was not listed as a passenger. But later she is listed at various Electoral roll addresses in England.

i found in the British Newspaper Archives - The Sheffield Newspaper Nov 1927 mentioned his name but in relation to him being an employee 'victim' of crime. His death was registered in June 1934 Sheffield.
    i would like to know of his crime and subsequent deportation. Did he go to gaol in Liverpool on his return? I couldn't find anything in The British National Archives.

shume

I wonder if he went to prison in Sheffield, given that the 1927 news article was in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph and that his death was registered in 1934 in Sheffield.(hers also) It might be worth purchasing his death certificate which can be done online quite cheaply and should give his address at death ? Sheffield gaol?
    Then again he might have been charged, tried and freed.
    Stephanie from Australia

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello TerryJoy,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Have you checked to see if the Sheffield newspapers are online for 1934? If so, have you checked for an obituary for Alexander?

As Stephanie has suggested, it might be worth purchasing his death certificate to see if he died in prison or as a free man. It would also give a date of death. Local libraries usually have newspapers and often provide a look-up service. Quite often nowadays they have to charge for this, so a precise date of death would be helpful in cutting down research time. Order certificates from
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Click the PDF option, and you'll get all the details for £6.00 instead of £9.25. The difference is your copy will be black and white instead of one classed as 'certified copy' with an official stamp on it.

A link about the local newspapers at Sheffield (see further links on right-hand side of page)
    https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content...ewspapers.html

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”