Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Tunisia Massicault

Hi there, I'm looking for some help.
    My fathers Uncle died in Tunisia and know his DOD and that he's buried at Massicault War Cemetery. However we would like to know more, about his service record and what actually happened in Tunisa. His DOD is 6/7/1943 yet the battle of Massicault ended on 13th May so there appears to be a bit of a gap. Can anyone point me in the right direction for more info.. or does anyone more than the basics about the battles there? Many thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Please see the Commonwealth War Graves site. "Many of those buried at Massicault War Cemetery died in the preparation for the final drive to Tunis in April 1943 and in that advance at the beginning of May". However the latest date of death in the cemetery is 20 Jun 1944. So the cemetery clearly isn't exclusively for casualties of actions in Tunisia. Also a death in July 1943 could conceivably be from wounds received in April 1943.

You can get a copy of his service record from MoD
    https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

You can read operational records at the National Archives, probably in series WO 175.

Please avoid possible confusion in future by showing dates with the month in letters eg 6 July 1943. Americans think 6/7/1943 is 7 June.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, thanks for your reply and information. We have already visited the war graves info as you've quotes... I had thought that he probably died from injuries sustained and not immediately as you suggest but just wanted to know if there could be any other reasons. We have have a grave ref etc and a certificate. Would casualties have been treated and 'hospitalised' for weeks in that area...sorry I am new to this so have no idea.

We will be requesting a copy of his service record and I will take a look at the National Archives too
    Many thanks

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Anna.
    There were first aid stations at the Front, and hospitals further back. Where possible, people were shipped back to the UK by boat. Everything depended on when casualties could be moved.

Looking at the CWGC cemetery records, 8 men are listed as having died on 6 Jul 1943, all Royal Artillery or Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. Expanding the search to the month of July gives 15 casualties - RA, REME, RASC and one member of the Black Watch. The Cemetery info gives background and says "Many of those buried at Massicault War Cemetery died in the preparation for the final drive to Tunis in April 1943 and in that advance at the beginning of May." This probably gives you your answer, but Peter is quite right, you need his records.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Lesley and thank you for the information. We are going to apply for his records but your answer is helpful in the meantime. Especially as he was in the REME and seems he died along with others in the same regiment on the same date so perhaps something happened on that day?? Interesting and as you say hopefully his records when we get them will have the answers. Sadly my fathers family didn't talk about what happened to him so the story hasn't been passed down therefore me and my Dad are now trying to find out what happened to 'Uncle Jim who died in the War'. We are very new to all of this so really appreciate the help from this forum. I have looked at the National Archives site and so far it looks like the war diaries of that time haven't been digitised yet so perhaps a visit to London is on the cards!!

I’ve seen that sort of regimental grouping among casualties before, and was told that it was due to a group of REME installing (or uninstalling) stuff with a group of RA to defend them....
    It’s just speculation in this case, but 1 shell could have wiped out 8 of them...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Lesley, this makes a lot of sense. We have sent the forms of for his records so will hopefully find out more and possibly the ultimate answer to what happened. Appreciate your help