Famous for offering help & advice

Default East India Co & India Office records

I've had an email from Ancestry this morning telling me about new East India Company and India Office 1746-1939 records being uploaded on their site. I have a few people in my tree who this is relevant to, so I had a look. Unfortunately where a date in the record is written e.g. "6 Sept 76", Ancestry has chosen to interpret this as 1776 rather than 1876, so all the relevant records to my people are, datewise, a century out. I'm just offering this as a warning to anyone researching.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I've had an email from Ancestry this morning telling me about new East India Company and India Office 1746-1939 records being uploaded on their site. I have a few people in my tree who this is relevant to, so I had a look. Unfortunately where a date in the record is written e.g. "6 Sept 76", Ancestry has chosen to interpret this as 1776 rather than 1876, so all the relevant records to my people are, datewise, a century out. I'm just offering this as a warning to anyone researching.
    Did you tell them they had got it wrong, I would have.

Famous for offering help & advice

well using their "Add alternative information" facility I've changed the date on each individual record relevant to me, but it gets a bit laborious after the thirtieth one. It makes me wonder how these transcriptions are done - it must be by a machine rather than a human being.

Brick wall demolition expert!

The difference between Ancestry and Findmypast is that the latter do listen to feedback about transcription errors, although they don't always agree with you, which is fair enough, but Ancestry just leave it there as alternative information and never change anything even when its patently wrong.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    The difference between Ancestry and Findmypast is that the latter do listen to feedback about transcription errors, although they don't always agree with you, which is fair enough, but Ancestry just leave it there as alternative information and never change anything even when its patently wrong.
    Ancestry have been that way for a good few too many years. I've complained endlessly, with all the errors that I've found.......the generic message is.....'We'll look into it'......but they never do, and nothing is changed. It seems it's left up to their subscribers, to do the job for them. They just want your money, that's it.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.