Thread: Mary Duff birth

Loves to help with queries

Smile Mary Duff birth

I'm back again looking for my great grandmother's birth details. All I know is that her name is Mary Duff and she married Dominick Matthews (Matthews sometimes seen with one 't'). I haven't actually found a marriage for her and the date of her passing is also a mystery. I do know that Mary Duff is her name though.
    Mary Duff and Dominick Matthews had 2 children, John and Mary born 1858 and 1860 respectively in Dublin, Ireland. I have seen a copy of the Baptism of John Mathews (with one 't') at the Diocese of Dublin, Parish of St Michan's R.C on the 29th December 1858. Mother showing as Mary Duff and father as Dominick Mathews (with one 't) and Dominick shows as 'Domincick'. Bridget Rogers was sponsor No.2. There was no name against sponsor No.1. The record showed as Book No. 4, Page 182, Entry number N/R.
    The family lived at 16 Nth King Street, Dublin.

A daughter (Mary) was also born to Mary Matthews nee Duff and Dominick in 1860 and her baptism also took place at St Michan's R.C on the 2 July 1860. They were still living at 16 Nth King Street, Dublin at that time. Her sponsor was Rose Fox. The record shows Book No.4 only. Dominick died in 1864. The death and separate burial record are the only records I have found for him in England (they lived in Jordan Street, Liverpool).

I have found a possible record for a Mary Duff born or christened on the 5th August 1832 to a Mat and Mary Duff. This took place at Portlaoise (Maryborough), Ireland. There is also another Mary Duff born 4th May 1830, baptised, 30th May 1830 to Robert Duff and Martha. This was in Arboe, Tyrone, Ireland. I believe this is in Northern Ireland whereas, the earlier christening I mentioned on the 5th August 1832 is over 80 km's south west of Dublin. I suppose Mary Duff could have been born anywhere in Ireland, however, since Dominick and Mary Matthews nee Duff were living in Dublin, there is a good chance that Mary Duff was born not far from there either.

My problem also is that the name Mary Duff is a widely used name so it is possible that neither of the two Mary Duff's mentioned above, are my relatives. Perhaps since Mary is used for each daughter, it is also possible that the Mary born in Portlaoise could be the one I'm looking for.

Looking forward to any help I can get regarding this brickwall I have.

Sandeea

Hi Sandeea
    I'll just post the link to the previous thread which mentions Mary Duff and Dominick Matthews jist in case anyone needs to read it
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ht=#post637764

Irish Genealogy is so frustrating and we need all the help we can get so I have moved your post to the Ireland forum in the hopes it will be picked up by someone who knows more about researching in Ireland than me.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you Christina, hopefully, there maybe someone out there who can help me.
    Sandeea

Christina - just to let you know that it looks like I have found the marriage of Dominick Matthews in 1857 at St.Paul's, Dublin.
    I have not found a link to Mary Duff with this entry, however, I am going to search for her name as part of that marriage. I also intend to see if I can obtain a certificate to support this new information I've found. I hope that any marriage certificate I find will also include the parents names of Dominick Matthews and Mary Duff.
    The only information I have at this stage is the number 133 next to Dominick's name and the fact that the marriage occurred in 1857 at St Paul's, Dublin.
    Do you or anyone else reading this post know if the marriage certificates are detailed with parent names etc?
    Sandeea

Hi
    If you go to https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ then click on 'Research, Get help' in the top Green bar and hover over 'What is available' you can choose from the drop down menu. Unfortunately civil registration didn't start until 1864 so you will be reliant on Parish records.
    If you click on Church records it will tell you what is available and where and how you can contact relevant authorities.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandeea View Post
    Christina - just to let you know that it looks like I have found the marriage of Dominick Matthews in 1857 at St.Paul's, Dublin.
    I have not found a link to Mary Duff with this entry, however, I am going to search for her name as part of that marriage. I also intend to see if I can obtain a certificate to support this new information I've found. I hope that any marriage certificate I find will also include the parents names of Dominick Matthews and Mary Duff.
    The only information I have at this stage is the number 133 next to Dominick's name and the fact that the marriage occurred in 1857 at St Paul's, Dublin.
    Do you or anyone else reading this post know if the marriage certificates are detailed with parent names etc?
    Sandeea
    Go to your previous thread to which Christina posted the link in post #2 of this thread.
    Then go to post #5, where there is a link to the image of the page in the register. Note that you need to scroll across as the image contains a left- and a right-hand page.

I admit that I know nothing about RC registers, but CofE registers have a space for the bride and groom to sign/make their mark, and the register in that image doesn't. It might be worth contacting the National Library of Ireland who hold that image to ask if further registers (possibly still held by the individual church or a RC archive) exist.

It might be helpful to read all of post 5, because Bridget Rogers crops up in relation to other links.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you to Christina and Pam - I have been doing a lot of research today. This is one place I looked : https://registers.nli.ie/registers/

The Dominick Matthews which I thought was the one who married Mary Duff, actually married Bridget Rogers !! So my search goes on for the right Dominick Matthews who married the subject of these posts, Mary Duff.

Just as an aside, Dominick Matthews (Bridget Rogers husband) father was Andrew Matthews. My Dominick's father was John Matthews as far as I know. Andrew Matthews address was shown as Liverpool on the marriage record. I have actually seen this record for a Dominick Matthews before on a census in Liverpool, but knew it wasn't 'my' Dominick.

It seems to me that this family of Matthews are very possibly related to 'my' Dominick Matthews.

Well, I seem to have increased my researching to do ....

Sandeea

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There is this death entry
    Name: Mary Matthews
    Estimated birth year: abt 1835
    Registration Year: 1866
    Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Age at Death: 31
    Registration district: Liverpool
    Volume: 8b page: 338

Actually, the last documented evidence I have of Mary Matthews nee Duff is the 1881 Census where it shows she was
    living at 29 Jordan Street, Liverpool with her son, John (my grandfather) and her daughter, Mary. This daughter, Mary
    eventually came to Australia after her brother, John did. She died in 1938.
    Thank you for looking though.
    Sandeea