Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Elizabeth Ward (née Hunter) of Newlands

I am trying to trace an Elizabeth Hunter, wife of William Ward, and mother of John Edward Ward, born around 1838 in Northumberland...

I cannot find her on any census pre-1871. I cannot find her marriage record. I cannot find the birth record for her oldest son. I cannot find her birth record.

From the censuses:

• Elizabeth is born between 1838 and 1841 based on ages on censuses. Depending on which year she was born in, she is 5-8 years older than her husband, John Edward Ward. Her birthplace is identified variously as Chopwell (Durham), Winlaton (Northumberland) and Blackhall Mill Winlaton (Northumberland)
    • She is married to one William Ward, born in Forncett (Norfolk) in 1846. He is easy to identify and trace.
    • William Ward is single and not living with Elizabeth in the 1861 census. He is living in Forncett, Norfolk.
    • 1871 census - Elizabeth is living in Whittonstall, Northumberland, married to William Ward coalminer
    • 1881 census - Elizabeth is living in Medomsley, Durham, married to William Ward
    • 1891-1911 censuses - Elizabeth is living in Medomsley, Durham, married to William Ward. He pre-deceases her in 1905

The 1911 census says Elizabeth had 9 children of which 8 were alive. The censuses identify 8 of those children. The ninth can be identified from the GRO indexes. Of the 9, 8 appear on the GRO Birth index with mother's maiden name recorded as "Hunter". I can find no record for John on the GRO Birth Index. I have a copy of Samuel's birth certificate and it lists his parents as "William Ward" and "Elizabeth Ward formerly Hunter".

Elizabeth's children are:
    • John (Edward) Ward c1865 - Ovingham
    • Samuel Ward 1870 - Hexham
    • Elizabeth Ward 1871 - Hexham
    • Jane Anna Maria Ward 1872 - Durham - She dies in 1873 hence her absence on the censuses.
    • Margaret Ann Ward 1873 - Durham
    • William Thomas Ward 1876 - Lanchester
    • Jane Emma Maria Ward 1877 - Lanchester
    • Isabel Ward 1879 - Lanchester
    • Edward Ward 1881 - Lanchester

Elizabeth dies in 1917.

Given the gap between when John may have been born and when Samuel was born, I wonder if Elizabeth was William Ward's second wife. And similarly if he was her second husband. Hence she may have had an alternative name at marriage? I don't know and trawling the censuses and marriage indexes have found nothing to support that.

Any assistance would be hugely appreciated!
    Last edited by benward; 16-02-2018 at 3:08 PM. Reason: Added details re William Ward in 1861

Knowledgeable and helpful

HUNTER, JOHN EDWARD
    No mother's maiden name
    GRO Reference: 1865 J Quarter in HEXHAM Volume 10B Page 246

Mother's maiden surname is not indexed when the child is illegitimate or the maiden surname cannot be determined from the information recorded.

Wow - that's a huge surprise! - illegitimacy never even crossed my mind. There was me thinking I'm a Ward!

I've just ordered the certificate... very interested to see what comes back! My guess is that Elizabeth Hunter is the mother, but it will be interesting to see...

FreeReg has a baptism for an Elizabeth Hunter 2 July 1840 Winlaton St Paul. Parents John Hunter, Husbandman, and Jane. Abode Blackhall Mill Chopwell.

Emeltom

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Ben,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Elizabeth is born between 1838 and 1841 based on ages on censuses. Depending on which year she was born in, she is 5-8 years older than her husband, John Edward Ward. Her birthplace is identified variously as Chopwell (Durham), Winlaton (Northumberland) and Blackhall Mill Winlaton (Northumberland)
    Firstly, I presume the bit in bold is a typo, and you meant William.

Apart from the 1881 census in which Elizabeth says she was born Winlaton (Durham sic)I haven't checked any after 1871 so I don't know when any of the birthplaces were specified.
    Regarding Winlaton it was originally a village in Durham, two spits down the road from Gateshead, which was also in County Durham. In turn, Gateshead is just across the river from Newcastle which is in Northumberland, hence the possible Durham/Northumberland county differences in the census.

Back to Elizabeth -
    I looked for her in the 1851/1861 census to see if there was someone born in any of the places you'd listed.
    1851 has an Elizabeth Hunter, granddaughter, aged 10, birthplace Ryton (county) Durham, living in Hedleywoodside with her grandparents who were both born in Ovingham. HO107/2414 folio 129 page 6.

In 1861 there's an Elizabeth Hunter, servant, aged 20, birthplace Winlaton Durham, living in Whittonstall. RG9/3856 folio 33 page 4.

But I restricted my search to Elizabeth Hunter born 1840 +/-2 years.

Have you tried finding baptism entries for Winlaton or Chopwell for Elizabeth?
    ADDED: As usual, too late, emeltee's already got the T-shirt.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    FreeReg has a baptism for an Elizabeth Hunter 2 July 1840 Winlaton St Paul. Parents John Hunter, Husbandman, and Jane. Abode Blackhall Mill Chopwell.

Emeltom
    Parents marry up with a John Hunter, aged 30, husbandman, and Jane, aged 20, living Black Hall Mill , township of Clopwell/Winlaton in 1841. HO107/302/6 folio 14 page 17
    No sign of Elizabeth though there is a Mary/May Hunter aged 11 in the same household. There's something written in the profession column though I've no idea what it says.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks all - great help. Looks like I will need to start researching the Hunters!

Thanks again,

Ben

This could get a bit complicated. Winlaton comes under the Gateshead Registration District. The GRO site has two Elizabeth Hunters born 1840 in Gateshead, one with mmn Brown and one with mmn Eliot.

I have found the parents of the Elizabeth baptised Winlaton abode Blackhall Mill Chopwell which I posted earlier in both the 1841 and 1851 Censuses living in Winlaton but Elizabeth is not with them. There is however an Elizabeth Hunter living with grandparents Edward and Elizabeth Eliot in Northumberland
    (1841 HO107/841/6/F2/p3 1851 HO107/2414/F129/p6)

Marriage 2 Feb 1839 Ovingham John Hunter/Jane Elliot.

Emeltom

You are faster at this than me .

I'm not 100% convinced those two census records point to the same Elizabeth who is mother of John Edward Ward - particularly as the age feels too old in the 1841 census.

There's an Elizabeth Hunter, born in Winlaton, recorded as a house servant in Newcastle - 1851 HO107/2405/F27/p47. I have not been able to find this Elizabeth in the 1841 census yet. In the 1861 census she appears as a house servant in Whittonstall.

You asked for an Elizabeth Hunter born between 1838 and 1841 with birthplaces given as Chopwell/Winlaton/Blackwall Mill Winlaton. What I gave you fitted exactly what you asked for. Don't forget that ages in the Censuses are only as good as the knowledge of the person giving them. Not all are spot on.

Emeltee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast