Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You're right - was entirely my fault for mis-reading the age as 11 (as opposed to 11 months).

I wonder if John Edward was name for his possible grandfather, Edward Elliot...

A copy of John Edward Hunter's birth certificate arrived today. As somewhat expected, his mother is identified as "Elizabeth Hunter" and she is described as of "Hedley Mill Hedley Woodside" (in the parish of Ovingham which aligns with subsequent census records). There are no details of the father on the birth certificate. I guess there might be a small chance he was William Ward's son, born out of wedlock, but I'd think probably not given the 4 year gap between John Edward's birth and William Ward/Elizabeth Hunter's marriage.

Consequently this may be a genuine brick wall - without a very fortuitous DNA match, I have no idea how to identify John Edward Ward/Hunter's father! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I really did not expect to uncover I wasn't a Ward when I posted this question!

Thanks all for your help,

Ben

I have now also received a copy of John Edward Ward's marriage certificate from the GRO. That identifies John's father as William. Would there have been any checks when the marriage certificate was issued?

How accurate is it likely to be? - i.e. is there a chance John Edward's father was William Ward but he was born 5 years before William Ward married Elizabeth Hunter?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by benward View Post
    A copy of John Edward Hunter's birth certificate arrived today. As somewhat expected, his mother is identified as "Elizabeth Hunter" and she is described as of "Hedley Mill Hedley Woodside" (in the parish of Ovingham which aligns with subsequent census records). There are no details of the father on the birth certificate. I guess there might be a small chance he was William Ward's son, born out of wedlock, but I'd think probably not given the 4 year gap between John Edward's birth and William Ward/Elizabeth Hunter's marriage.

Consequently this may be a genuine brick wall - without a very fortuitous DNA match, I have no idea how to identify John Edward Ward/Hunter's father! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I really did not expect to uncover I wasn't a Ward when I posted this question!

Thanks all for your help,

Ben
    Have you checked for a baptism to see what the Minister has entered?

I haven't had any luck finding Ovingham baptisms from 1865-1869 (other than on-site at Northumberland Archives which is quite far from me...). The online Bishop Transcripts have a gap between 1840 and 1869. The Parish Records held by FamilySearch do not cover these years. And none of the paid sites have transcriptions for the recent period.

Makes sense as a next step though!

Thanks,

Ben

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Maybe worth contacting

https://
    durhamrecordsonline.com/updates/2015/06/ovingham-baptisms-1769-1789-and-1805-1840/

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Looks as if the Society of Genealogists in Charterhouse Buildings (London) have microfilm of the Ovingham parish registers. https://www.
    sog.org.uk/search-records
    Third page of results, under Ovingham.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12